What To Feed Betta Fry!?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishlover101

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok so I've bred my bettas 3 times... ive moved all of the fry together into a 29 gallon grow out tank.. theres between 50-100 fry that lived... hard to tell... anyways, ive been feeding them baby brine shrimp, but it's expensive and they need a lot... I was wondering at what age, can I start feeding them grounded up flakes? should I continue with the brine shrimp and frozen foods? they seem to be doing good on it, already showing a bit a light red at such a young age.. the fry are between 1 week and 1 month old... I was thinking of putting half the usual amount of brine shrimp, as well as some crushed up flakes for about a week and then taking away the brine shrimp completely... is this a good idea?

I would continue the live food. Brine Shrimp, daphnia, powderized bloodworms.
You could also hard-boil an egg in a saucepan of boiling water. Once the egg is hard-boiled, remove the yolk from the center and crumble it to a fine powder. Feed a pea-sized amount three times a day.

(Ehow)

Thats a great idea! And it will hopefully cost a lot less! Thankyou

For fry it is best to keep them on live food as it is better for them. See if you can get some sort of balance between the egg yolk and the live food.

I was always under the impression that culturing your own live food didn't cost that much

thankyou! I don't really have the knowledge on how to culture my own live food... but I will definitely keep feeding them the yolk and baby brine shrimp until they are a bit bigger and I can slowly try flakes! I just finished feeding them the egg! they seemed to be eating it! im hoping it will help them grow faster! they are a month old and only about a cm long... :$

Well you can either full on culture (where they have their own tank and you grow them and such) or you can make/buy one of these https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16741114638505372778?q=brine+shrimp+hatchery&sqi=2&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&biw=1280&bih=651&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.Lm5_JQvGXEc.O&tch=1&ech=1&psi=8Gy7U8P2MdKRyATXo4DgCw.1404792387925.3&ei=U267U_7lHounyATl_YCYAg&ved=0CIYBEKYrMAI. It's very simple to keep up with the hatchery. If you full on culture I feel like the hardest part would be making sure the salinity is at the right percentage (I haven't got the space to attempt this myself yet but I plan on it someday soon in the near future). 

Most reactions

trending

Back