What To Do With Platy Fry

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JezTaylor

Reaction score
I've got a bit of a problem. I added a new female platy to my tank about 6 months ago - she then had lots and lots of babies. It wasn't a huge problem because I would simply take them to my local Maidenhead Aquatics once they were big enough. HOWEVER... she's just had another batch (which I assume must be her last) but it seems that Maidenhead Aquatics have now changed their policy and will no longer accept fry. I went to Pets at Home and they wouldn't take them either.

I obviously can't keep them because my tank isn't big enough and there's no way I would ever euphanise a healthy fish, so I'm not sure what I can do...

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You could try to sell them over the internet, or locally, or try to find a different store to take them to?

There are sites like Aquarist classified and the classifieds on the forum, or possibly ebay - however you would have to be prepared to post fish -( that is another expense) your best option would be to add a fish that would eat some of the fry. Its a hard thing to do, but I am in the same situation none of my LFS will take unwanted fish and havnt for a couple of years now.

Depending on where you live there may be other branches of MA or other pet stores within a reasonable distance that may take them.  I would check the phone book for aquatic retailers and do some phoning around.

Also it might be worth asking MA if they will take them as young adults, if you are able to let them grow on a bit in your tank first.

A nice hollandaise sauce?

(Joking....)

You could also try Gumtree, Preloved and Craigslist, where you may be able to find someone local who would take them.

Thanks all. Fortunately my fears of ending up with an ever increasing stock of inbred platies have been alleviated. Whilst none of my local stores would take the fry, I spoke to a lady a little farther away at Ely Aquatics who is happy to take them when they reach 1" (still a way to go!!).

I understand why MA are reluctant to take in fry - but at the same time it's extremely annoying that they'll sell you a pregnant fish and then refuse to take back the unwanted fry.

If only I'd had a clue what I was doing when I bought my very first fish I would have specifically asked for two "male platies" instead of just "same sex".

Two male platies can be a handful as well though since one is often dominant and can bully the other into hiding.  I find the females are more peaceful and make a more relaxing community, even though the fry can be a hassle to rehome.

LyraGuppi said:
Oh gosh, lockman....

laugh.png

What?
innocent.gif
whistling.gif
wahey.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back