What To Do With My 25 Litre Tank?

Any suggestions?

  • 2 angelfish

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dwarf Pufferfish

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A small shoal of fish (Harlequins etc)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another type of fish

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some oddball..

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

umlaut31

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
149
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Brighton
Right well I set up my new 25 litre tank - cycled it and everything, got a betta on friday, but he was very ill and sadly Gandalf was dead when I looked this morning. :/

I can't work out what was wrong with him, but the water stats are fine and he shared his tank with 2 tiny ottos..

anyways, the tank is on my desk, and I really don't want to leave it empty - so can anyone suggest anything? I think it's tall enough for 2 angelfish, but can anyone suggest anything else? Something a little different?

Cheers and I'm open to anything haha :good:
 
Deffo not angelfish mate, waay too small the tank is! Why not try another betta, a fancy one rather than your usual LFS veil tail?

You could try a setup of small fish like micro rasboras and some pigmy corys?
 
Right well I set up my new 25 litre tank - cycled it and everything, got a betta on friday, but he was very ill and sadly Gandalf was dead when I looked this morning. :/

I can't work out what was wrong with him, but the water stats are fine and he shared his tank with 2 tiny ottos..

anyways, the tank is on my desk, and I really don't want to leave it empty - so can anyone suggest anything? I think it's tall enough for 2 angelfish, but can anyone suggest anything else? Something a little different?

Cheers and I'm open to anything haha :good:

I checked the 2 angel fish box by accident, don't do that! lol
 
Yeah, angels are NO WAY... they get to the size of an adult's palm with a 20 gal as the absolute minimum and 30 gals preferred.

Pygmy corys are a good choice... personally I wouldn't put otos in that tank as they really should be kept in groups of 6+ and the tank is a bit poky for so many as they are extremely sensitive.

My advice would be three or four pygmy corys and a betta (or paradise fish for an unheated tank). Otherwise you could consider some small guppies or endlers, small schooling fish like ember tetras or boraras brigittae, or some of the micro rainbows (Pseudomugil gertrudae or P. furcatus).

Dwarf puffers are also a good option, I don't know much about them so you might want to wait for somebody with a clue to turn up.
 
That's about 6 gallons, right?
Personally, I'd consider any of LauraFrog's suggestions - I wasn't sure which box to check, because I'd go with the betta (I'd love a Paradise fish myself, if you could get them out here) or the very small schoolers.
It's unfortunate that bettas are so often stressed so badly, not only from shipping but also in the conditions in which they may be kept...
 
i put other for a planted nano tank with WCMM and some different varieties of shrimp
that is what i am doing with my 40 litre atm
 
The guy in my LFS said I could have 6 dwarf puffers!

I don't think I can, but maybe 2 as my tank is quite tall and well planted..

Whats the major difference between them and say a figure 8 puffer?
 
about dwarf puffers i have read that you have to feed them snails otherwise their teeth get to long and they cant eat therefore starve to death
is this a pure myth or is there some truth in it???
 
The guy in my LFS said I could have 6 dwarf puffers!

I don't think I can, but maybe 2 as my tank is quite tall and well planted..

Whats the major difference between them and say a figure 8 puffer?

So what did you get in the end? I am considering a dwarf puffer for my 30 litre, but then saw some Emerald-eye Rasbora's the other day and thought they were lovely - they were sold primarily as feeders too :blink:

Not sure what to do now!
 
6 dwarf puffers in that tank is not good! 2 at the max...the general rule for dps is 5 gal per dp. my 5 gal has cherry shrimp, 1 dp, and 2 otos
 
That is a great tank size for some Heterandria formosa. They will breed and maintain a nice colony in a tank that size.

My Heterandrias
femaleupright1024.jpg

PygmaeusHeterandria.jpg


Caught a pygmy cory on the left in that second picture.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top