What is this fish called?

• ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Vita Powlison

Reaction score
This fish is about 2” long, peaceful. The lower beak is much longer than the top. They pretty much stay together just the two of them I’ve never seen this fish before until I purchased it.

Attachments

• 10FA5FB7-0284-4DC0-BCBC-D933EA339BC3.jpeg
    10FA5FB7-0284-4DC0-BCBC-D933EA339BC3.jpeg
    217.9 KB · Views: 238
  • 17BDA13F-259D-4FA7-A7B0-E4B318C75E2E.jpeg
    17BDA13F-259D-4FA7-A7B0-E4B318C75E2E.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 213
Malayan Halfbeak (Dermogenys pusilla).

It's a livebearer that needs hard water with a pH above 7.0 and a bit of salt.

They are small, have small mouths and usually starve to death in community tanks.

Colin is a walking talking fishcyclopedia.

Thank you Colopedia.
Yes i realized right off they are so peaceful and small they would get pushed to the way side ( what ever side that Is ) anyway. When i feed the community they go to the top right corner of tank under the top inlet so while everyone else is busy i drop in floating VERY small pellets. Fish are so much smarter than people realize , as soon as i drop the first round of food in they go right over to the corner and wait for the pellets . They are truly an odd looking fish. Reminds me an arowana and gar. Like a Garowana.

I would just like to say that you should NEVER buy fish without knowing anything about them or if they are compatible with any of the other fish in your aquarium. This will almost always lead to very unhappy fish and your fish may even die.

Dear Fish Finatic 77
I hope your not a teacher. You take a very harsh tone in your text. The reason for my enquiry was so that I COULD ! Learn more about the fish. I already knew it was compatible as I purchase ALL my fish from the same man and he informed me it was compatible with my community. Thank you for your kind concern.

Vita Powlison,

I did not mean for my text to be insulting in any way. I was simply pointing out that there are so many cases of people just buying any fish they think look nice, without thinking about what that fish needs. I was not implying that you do not care for your fish. I simply wanted to warn you that fishtanks can easily become war zones if you put in the wrong fish.

Thank You,
Yes I guess I was offended as I am very deeply involved in not only my house fish but my 8,000 gallon koi pond.
I have maintained Aquariums since I was 16 so that makes me 40 years of experience . SOOOOO yeah I took it personally as a spanking . Alls good though the half beaks are getting fat and Happy.
Take care

Hey fishfinatic 77
BTW I totally get what your talking about. I just purchased a used 125 gallon that came with an African cichlid and plecco , i put the cichlid on offer up for free and YEAH one girl asked if it would be ok with her goldfish. NOT ! Haha so it took a while to find the right fit. Also had to get rid of one of my red eared MALE sliders. ( absolutely tormented my female ) I specified it was coming out of a huge pond. And I would not just give to anyone. One person said it will be in good hands they have a 10 gallon tank. LOL I said NO I RESCUED IT from a 20 . So anyway, I understand your concern.

I'm glad you care so much about your fish, and that you make sure they have nice homes. I'm also happy the half beaks are doing good!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back