What the heck is in my tank?????

cjhearsu

Reaction score
I just set up a new tank with loads of plants. No fish yet, just plants and a couple of ivory snails and a few Malaysian trumpet snails. Last night I saw something that initially looked like something being swept along by the current of my Eheim, then I realized it was propelling itself against the current, so I looked closer. I have no idea what the heck it is and need help identifying it.

It is between 1/8 and 1/4 inch long, looks a little like a tiny shrimp, but has no tail, very short legs, translucent grayish in color, has feelers or antennae, topline rising toward the back, but no tail. Appears to have a shell structure similar to a shrimp. Has a really good propulsion system and was too fast for me to catch in the heavily planted tank.

Does anybody know what this is and if it is going to be harmful to fish I introduce to the tank? Or to my ivory or Malaysian trumpet snails?

Naw, it's a little freshwater shrimp. Somebody posted a web site on another forum with a picture, and that's what I got. Harmless, thank heaven.

Thanks,

CJ

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back