What Species is this?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

JAMMYLEYLO

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
So I just picked up this pleco for my new tank, itā€™s a 16 gallon long. (Gravel Arriving Later)
Heā€™s only very small at the moment but need to know how big he will get approximately :)
Iā€™ve attached a photo, heā€™s a dark green/black colour with white spots.
If anyone can tell me what species I really appreciate it. Not sure if he is an L Number?
Thanks,
James

Attachments

• 384A514B-C561-453C-9B5B-DB00B59CC390.jpeg
    384A514B-C561-453C-9B5B-DB00B59CC390.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 60
I think it's a bristlenose pleco and it is a female. The males have bristles on their noses (hence the name). I could be wrong about the gender. How old is it. You should know the spices in a couple months. But I'm pretty sure about the spices. I have two females who look exactly the same.

The bristlenose plecos don't get as big as common plecos so keeping them in a 16gallon should be be fine.

It does look like a BN, but it's really difficult to tell the sex as it'll still be relatively immature, and not developed the bristles. I would say a 16gal tank is still a little on the small side for a BN but not drastically so.

For future reference, it's always a good idea to research potential fish before buying them.

I would say itā€™s a bristlenose, 3-5 inches I think is max growth

It does look like a BN, but it's really difficult to tell the sex as it'll still be relatively immature, and not developed the bristles. I would say a 16gal tank is still a little on the small side for a BN but not drastically so.

For future reference, it's always a good idea to research potential fish before buying them.
I did research it etc, and pet store staff said it was a bristle nose but wanted to double check about it due to it not having its bristles yet :)

Hi everyone!
So I just picked up this pleco for my new tank, itā€™s a 16 gallon long. (Gravel Arriving Later)
Heā€™s only very small at the moment but need to know how big he will get approximately :)
Iā€™ve attached a photo, heā€™s a dark green/black colour with white spots.
If anyone can tell me what species I really appreciate it. Not sure if he is an L Number?
Thanks,
James
That looks exactly like my smaller one BN. Very close markings too mine. Definitely a BN and she will grow to be happy and healthy

I did research it etc, and pet store staff said it was a bristle nose but wanted to double check about it due to it not having its bristles yet :)
Oh, OK, sorry, I assumed that you hadn't researched, as you wanted to know how long it would get. My bad. :)

Most reactions

trending

Back