What sort of snail?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

BigJfish12

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if these are one of the pest variety of snail such as bladder or pond snail thanks
20231109_165259.jpg

Was just realising how many of these snails there were in my tank and trying to think of a way to keep them under control. They are in a tank with three new guppies and I was wondering if the guppies would eat the eggs and/or baby snails?

Was just realising how many of these snails there were in my tank and trying to think of a way to keep them under control. They are in a tank with three new guppies and I was wondering if the guppies would eat the eggs and/or baby snails?
Hello. Snails can be a good and bad thing. They're excellent tank cleaners and in small numbers are part of a healthy tank. If you feed too much and the fish don't eat everything, then you'll have a snail problem and too many snails will add to the waste material in the tank. That's bad. You can use the old Iceberg Lettuce way of getting rid of snails. Just drop a couple of leaves of this lettuce in the tank. Snails can't resist Iceberg Lettuce. Leave the lettuce in the tank for a day or so. The snails will attach themselves to the lettuce and you just remove it and toss the lettuce in your garden or composter.

Provided you don't have any small fish as well in the fish tank, you could get assassin snails to eat the pest snails, though this could take quite a while.

I would like to add, if you are looking for algae cleaners, nerite snails are much better and also don't reproduce at all in fish tanks (though they do pay lots of eggs that are terribly difficult to get rid of). Pest snails aren't that good at all so there isn't really any point in trying to keep them alive.
They reproduce a lot.

Do guppies eat snail eggs because earlier on when I made this thread there were snail eggs everywhere but now I can't see any 🥳

Hello Big. Any fish I've ever kept, Guppies included have tried to nibble on anything in the tank. Eggs of any sort are a source of protein and very popular as a food source. So, I'd say yes to your question.

Most reactions

Back