What Size Heaters For 4Ft Rio 240Litre Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Whitey_144

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of setting up my four foot tank, I've added all my limpopo black sand today and checked my eheim filter ...it leaks :-( ...so will need to get a new seal.

I want to get a Rena smartheater, i I have a Rena smartheater in my 3ft tank (150W I think). However, as I may have to leave my 4ft tank in the hands of my parents sometimes, I'd prefer 2 heaters (to cover each other in case one breaks). What size wattage should I get? 2x100W? ..would you still get 1 heater?

2x150w. If one breaks then one 150w would probably be enough to look after the tank if the house is warm.

I've got a 300W Fluval tronic heater which I'll be replacing soon with 2 x 200W heaters.

I know 400W is too much but my thoughts are that I will be better placed should one of them goes

2x150w. If one breaks then one 150w would probably be enough to look after the tank if the house is warm.

thanks for the quick answer! Is the usual calculation 1W per Litre? ...or have i just made that up :-O in which case if I get 2x150W, they will both be working just under capacity so would last longer?

also, I think you have limpopo black sand too, do you have catfish/corys, is it ok for them?

I added my limpopo black sand(medium size) today but the water is really murky! even after lots of rinsing and now filtering, has yours settled?

also, sorry for the questions, but have you noticed it change the PH at all? i read a while ago that it fizzed a bit with the vinegar test.

thanks!

wheres your filter leaking from?

oh what a bimbo! i just read 'seals too!! is the rubber cracking on it?

it seemed to be from most edges, and that was without the pump on, the seal did look like it had lots of very very small thin cracks. I just posted another thread about it, because im not sure if found the right link

how long did u have it running? just curious as ive had a few'leak' then stop after a while... maybe if you run it while its in a bowl or sink it will sort its self.. tho i never condone risk taking
shifty.gif

how long did u have it running? just curious as ive had a few'leak' then stop after a while... maybe if you run it while its in a bowl or sink it will sort its self.. tho i never condone risk taking
shifty.gif

when i used it about 8years ago it was perfect, never even a little bit, but i did notice the cracks and even remarked to my dad about it before we tested it, so im pretty sure its gone, which is fine as long as I can find the right replacement.

Do you happen to know where i can get the white ball that shows the flow indicator? (my one has turned into a manky bumpy blob!)

ah if its that old then i wouldnt risk it. what model is it?
ebay or special order from LFS

Its an EHEIM professional 2 (but im not sure if they have updated verstions. I dont have the box but i think its 2028, so i think this is the seal:
http://www.arkpetsonline.co.uk/eheim-2028-sealing-gasket-p-5225.html

But im not sure if ive just made up the 2028 and if there was a version change and this is just the new one.

It definitely has 3 baskets

Yeah, 1w per litre. They should last a very long time indeed. :D

I do have Limpopo and my tanks. My PH sits at around 7.2 atm but i never tested the water before i used it so it maywell be the case.

Here's a quick picture... Is this clear enough for you? :D

DSC02261 by David Raynham, on Flickr

Yeah, 1w per litre. They should last a very long time indeed. :D

I do have Limpopo and my tanks. My PH sits at around 7.2 atm but i never tested the water before i used it so it maywell be the case.

Here's a quick picture... Is this clear enough for you? :D

DSC02261 by David Raynham, on Flickr

wow, that is very nice, I'd take that clarity! Did you find it was very murky at the beginning? i was sure if it rubbing against each other was causing more sand dust?

Yeah it was cloudy at the start. But the filter caught most of it in the floss. Clear by the following monday.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back