What should I do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Chen jing kai

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
From the start of this year, I realised it has been quite busy juggling school work, my own life and taking care of my fish tank. However, I simply do not have time for cleaning and maintenance of the fish tank and it is not turning out the way I initially wanted it to. Even after 4 years, I still made mistakes that could have been avoided. So I want to sell/giveaway these fish to some people. My parents however I think do not want to part with the fish. I have no idea who to give these fish to and was thinking of online marketplaces. So I would like some advice. Should I just giveaway or sell the fish or keep them because I would feel guilty passing it on to someone else yet I would want the fish to live a more comfortable life, so should I sell the fish or keep them? If I do keep them, does anyone have any strategies to sort of maintain the tank while on a schedule? Thank you and sorry for the long post.

It is your decision, not your parent's, to rehome the fish, if you feel you cannot properly care for them at this time.

Do you have a local pet store that may take them?

My parents however I think do not want to part with the fish. I have no idea who to give these fish to
Have you asked your parents if they would take them on?
If they won't it is best to give them away as fish really need regular maintenance.
Though if you post a picture of your tank and fish, and explain you're maintenance regime at the moment, we might be able to give tips to make it easier for the time being.

What sort of fish?
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
What sort of filter is on the tanks?

How often do you feed the fish?
What do you feed the fish?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How much time do you have spare to maintain the fish?

-------------------
If you only have a few fish in a big tank with lots of plants, and you only feed them a couple of times a week, you can do a water change and gravel clean the substrate once a month. And clean the filter once a month.

You decide, they're your fish. There were times during my life, I had to part with my fish at some point, perhaps I'm not as sensitive as you are but, in the end, I knew it was the best thing for the fish and me. Once you are more settled, you can start over. Sell them or give them away to someone that will appreciate them.

Too many things going on here that influence the situation, but bottom line seems fairly simple: if you can't take care of them/don't want them anymore, then give them away to people who you know will take good care of them. If your parents want them, then they should be the ones in charge of them and not you. Either way, and barring the "human" elements at play here, you have to do what's best for the fish at the moment, as they are still your responsibility

Why are you so busy that you can't spare an hour a week to do the maintenance on this tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back