What should I do with my assassin snail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month šŸŽ–ļø
Reaction score
I got an assassin snail a couple months ago because I was having pest snail outbreaks in my quarantine/fry tanks. Theyā€™ve all been eaten so for a very hot second. In fact, Iā€™m kinda still surprised that heā€™s still alive. Heā€™s currently slowly moving across a log right now.

But what should I do with him? I donā€™t want him to starve. I could take him and donate him to my local fish store but Iā€™ve kinda pack bonded with him; call him Crunch. I canā€™t put him in my main tanks because my main tanks have nirate snails. Will putting some fish food in his tank be enough to keep him going? I have some shrimp pellets, tropical flakes, algae wafers, freeze dried bloodworms, and some beta food.

Theyā€™re carnivores and donā€™t eat algae, so would the shrimp pellets or the bloodworms work?

If they donā€™t, I making a run to my fish store to do a water test and I can take him with me then.

You could always buy some ramshorn snails and breed them in a tub, then put some in with the assassin. Frozen foods should help too.

Thank you everyone! Iā€™m so happy that I can still keep him! Iā€™m also shocked to learn that itā€™s probably because I put him in with my fry that heā€™s still alive šŸ¤£. If I ever buy another plant that brings in an infestation itā€™ll be nice to have Crunch as my backup. (Bless quarantine tanks)

Thank you everyone! Iā€™m so happy that I can still keep him! Iā€™m also shocked to learn that itā€™s probably because I put him in with my fry that heā€™s still alive šŸ¤£. If I ever buy another plant that brings in an infestation itā€™ll be nice to have Crunch as my backup. (Bless quarantine tanks)
you can just feed him like a normal but carnivore little snail when there are no bounties for him

If anyone is still watching this, will my assassin snail eat snail eggs? Because the number of snail eggs in my main freshwater tank is a bit ridiculous

there could still be eggs waiting to hatch. Itā€™s been months since the Bala sharks nd corydoras ate the snails that literally covered the sides of my tank. But, when I did my weekly water exchange, there were three snails hiding under a piece of driftwood. Iā€™ve not added anything to the tank so they are from the infestation I encountered a few months back. The corydoras were first to see them and yum and yummy ate those snails right up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back