What Should I Do For Work?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I've been wanting to work at the local hotel(s) ever since the new one opened up in my area. Don't ask why, I just really fancy that kind of environment. The problem is, I have no idea of how to create a resume for this particular position.
My son was struggling being a full time student at college so I suggested he shift gears, work at a restaurant as a cook while taking classes part time. He was living in New Orleans so there lots of restaurants. These can be fun places to work at while young as there are many other young people employed.

The plan worked great, he got a degree a month before COVID hit, he is now home and got a job in an office environment.

Not really. Europe has mass transit system which are easy to use, in many area you don't need a car. We have a small apartment in our house, our current tenant (grad student) from Serbia does not even have a driver's license, same thing for a Belgium PhD student we hosted a few years ago.
There's a bus stop that's literally one minute away (walking) from my house, which takes me down to my old school, to the high street, e.c.t... Then there's a few further down the road towards the village, it's very quaint like a lot of the UK is, and as I've said I'm pretty good with making my way around... I plan to take driving lessons when I turn 17, but I'd like to limit using a car as much as possible. Public transport is better for the environment and just makes me feel safer on a whole.

Right, going to sound very pathetic here, but I'm at a loss and I'm desperate at this point.

In early November, I dropped out of sixth form for my mental health. I was at a very low point, where dragging myself out of bed for classes in the morning was the only reason I got up. And even then, my attendance grew worse and worse until I just stopped attending. I won't get into the darker parts of this, because I'm not here to tell a sob-story and I really don't want to upset anyone. Anyway, I really don't regret this decision in itself, but I do regret it for the fact that I now won't be able to get the proper qualifications to ever stand out in a list of applicants for a job. I have all my GCSEs, and passed with A's in a few topics, but "secondary school graduate" is really not enough - especially when I'm only sixteen.

Now I stay at home, in front of my computer for hours at a time maintaining social media, looking after my tanks and wasting more and more time. I don't know what to do. I've been looking for a job for months but I don't know what I'd want to do or how to get there. I've been wanting to work at the local hotel(s) ever since the new one opened up in my area. Don't ask why, I just really fancy that kind of environment. The problem is, I have no idea of how to create a resume for this particular position. Or any job, for that matter. I just don't know what to put down in the "personal statement" part.

Even if I look for other jobs, I wouldn't know what to do. Working at my LFS sounds fun in theory, but it's technical work and you need to be pretty well-versed with fish (and customer service) to work one of those jobs. So then I considered working at a supermarket, which is also far too much customer service for my meek self. Pathetic, I know.

In short, I'm desperate for a job - I don't care what it is as long as it's nearby and has hours within daylight. Cash in hand, temp jobs, or even just one-off things. I just want to prove to myself that I can actually do something other than wasting away in my bedroom.
I'll be honest and straight forward with you.
As an employer: it really doesn't matter what you put on your resume or how it looks, as you are 16yr old school drop-out; Your grades don't matter and neither will your hobbies or resume layout. You would be the last person I consider from a pile of resumes. And even if you were the only applicant, I would wait for a week or a month in hope someone else might apply; unless I really have no choice.

As a person: I might hire you if I had position open; if you showed up at the door and asked for a job; And convinced me to change my impression of you as a school drop-out (trust me, vast majority of employers will not have a good impression)
If I read your resume alone, I would automatically conclude: You have attitude, responsibility, work ethic, social, etc issues. And as an employer hiring someone doesn't just mean you pay them money. It also means you are taking all of new employees problems, issues, work ethics, etc. And the whole package becomes a problem or an asset, not only to me as an employer but for an entire team or workplace.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear but it is the truth.
So my advice is: go door knocking.

p.s. most people will tell you to look for something you like doing. That's sort of b.s. Most people don't like demanding nature of work, no matter where they work; Sooner or later that enthusiasm wears off and work becomes soldiering on until Friday. Very few people actually enjoy their work for work. It's the work environment, people, coworkers, bosses that makes it bearable or unbearable.
Having said that, try to find something suitable to your personality: If you aren't social butterfly = don't go for jobs where you have constant interaction with customers and you are required to be chatty and smile (it will drive you mad).
But most of all: I would recommend to finish at least year 12 or go for apprenticeship type employment. If you can soldier on, of course. If not than definitely don't rely on sending resumes. Try door knocking and ask to speak to managers but make sure you leave good impression on staff as whether they liked you can be the difference between getting a job or polite rejection.

Good luck

p.s. most people will tell you to look for something you like doing. That's sort of b.s.
^^^That^^^

Why turn something you enjoy into a chore? Yes, work is better if it's enjoyable, a lot of times it's your colleagues that make it so. And certainly don't do something you hate.

Very few people do turn their hobbies into a thriving, sustainable business.

As a 16yo and with the pandemic options are very limiting at the moment, at that age I wanted to work in the leisure and tourism industry, but actually ended up in retail until I was in my late twenties and started driving lorries.
And it is true that your priorities will shift as your life moves forward. I am now testing electrical equipment and servicing fire extinguishers for a living, it gave me my weekends back, even though it means a few nights away from home.

Don't discount jobs out of hand, unless you really don't want to interact with people then obviously front of house jobs aren't for you.
Apprentiships are a good idea and cover a wide range of work types.
Getting a trade, plumbing, electrical, joinery etc will set you up for life as they will never go out of demand.
HGV drivers, while not as well paid as they used to be, will also be in demand for a good while yet.

Are there any big factories near you? They have a pretty diverse range of jobs beyond just assembly line work.

Are there any big factories near you? They have a pretty diverse range of jobs beyond just assembly line work.
There's actually a fruit packing plant five minutes down the road, but all the shifts are night shifts and manager/higher up jobs, and my mum's only restriction is night-shift jobs. But that's about it.

Leaving school at 16 yr old isn’t considered “dropping out” over here. Also “drop out” doesn’t have the same connotations here either.
Yeah, it's not exactly "dropping out" as much as it is just leaving. You're meant to be in full time education or work but as you can see I've been putting it off for almost five months.

Leaving school at 16 yr old isn’t considered “dropping out” over here. Also “drop out” doesn’t have the same connotations here either.
It's the same as in Australia.
There is politeness, consideration and connotations and then there is practical reality.
For example, when I write to applicant:
'Thank you for your application. After careful consideration, we have decided to go with another candidate for this position. But we will reconsider your application if another position becomes available. Thank you for applying and we are sorry we couldn't offer you the position this time. Blah, blah.'
It really means: 'I don't think you are good enough for this position, please don't apply again.'

Kids leave school in Australia in grade 10 because they don't want to be physicist or accountant thus thinking they don't need to finish grade 11 and 12 of high school.

Then they realize they don't really like working: as the kitchen hand, back breaking labor work, lifting boxes in warehouse, long hours, weekends, etc.
But they find out that most doors are closed to them, despite polite connotations like 'early school leaver for work experience', 'hard working', etc.
That's why we have night schools, adult high school completions, etc. You can call it whatever you want but at the end of the day: employers view things from different perspective.

As I said in previous post: I'm not gonna give advice on grounds of being supportive and polite; but advice on reality how employers view it and implications for job search.
Anyway, that's just my advice that I think is more helpful then just being polite and avoiding the truth between reality and politeness.
It's up to the OP to decide what to do.
Whatever it is: best of luck.

The problem kids face today and 50 years ago, is they are expected to know what they want to do when they leave school. And 99% of people have no idea what they want to do with their life when they are 20 years old, let alone 15 years old. Employers and governments around the world need to stop expecting kids to know what they want to do at that age. When I was 15 I wanted to kick a ball, ride my bike and watch cartoons. I didn't have a clue about what I wanted to do for work. No kid can be expected to know what they want for a career when they have no worldly experiences.

What needs to happen is apprenticeships need to be available to adults as well as 15 year olds, and adult education should be encouraged. Older adults should also be encouraged to study learn new skills and qualifications and employers should not pick workers based on age.

Kids should be kids and allowed to learn about things before being forced into a career they might not stay in.

For the OP, do volunteer work in a range of different areas and see if you like any of those jobs. Talk to your school counsellor and ask them to help you get some work experience.

The problem kids face today and 50 years ago, is they are expected to know what they want to do when they leave school. And 99% of people have no idea what they want to do with their life when they are 20 years old, let alone 15 years old. Employers and governments around the world need to stop expecting kids to know what they want to do at that age.
We were made to pick our GCSE subject choices in year 8/7th grade. Aka when we were twelve and thirteen years old and only wanted to do art and science for a bit of a laugh. Hence why I wound up picking religious studies, art and history.
When I was 15 I wanted to kick a ball, ride my bike and watch cartoons.
Cartoons were a thing when you were 15? :O
What needs to happen is apprenticeships need to be available to adults as well as 15 year olds, and adult education should be encouraged. Older adults should also be encouraged to study learn new skills and qualifications and employers should not pick workers based on age.
I completely agree.
For the OP, do volunteer work in a range of different areas and see if you like any of those jobs. Talk to your school counsellor and ask them to help you get some work experience.
I'll keep my eye out for volunteer work first then. Thank you!

when i was 15, everybody want to be a train driver, copper, astronaut or model. some of the posher kids wanted to be cricketers or footballers (didnt pay as much in the 80's)

I kind of fell into retail when was 30 and still not sure what i wanted to do then. 21 years later and the pandemic seems to be trying its best to close most of it

LOL< no, but the only other thing I could have written was when I was 15, all I wanted to do was chase dinosaurs and club cave girls on the noggin. I figured cartoons was more appropriate for this time in Earth's history :)
Go on, tell us. Write a book on it. Audiobook and Kindle formats too, please.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back