What Should I Do For Work?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PlasticGalaxy

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Right, going to sound very pathetic here, but I'm at a loss and I'm desperate at this point.

In early November, I dropped out of sixth form for my mental health. I was at a very low point, where dragging myself out of bed for classes in the morning was the only reason I got up. And even then, my attendance grew worse and worse until I just stopped attending. I won't get into the darker parts of this, because I'm not here to tell a sob-story and I really don't want to upset anyone. Anyway, I really don't regret this decision in itself, but I do regret it for the fact that I now won't be able to get the proper qualifications to ever stand out in a list of applicants for a job. I have all my GCSEs, and passed with A's in a few topics, but "secondary school graduate" is really not enough - especially when I'm only sixteen.

Now I stay at home, in front of my computer for hours at a time maintaining social media, looking after my tanks and wasting more and more time. I don't know what to do. I've been looking for a job for months but I don't know what I'd want to do or how to get there. I've been wanting to work at the local hotel(s) ever since the new one opened up in my area. Don't ask why, I just really fancy that kind of environment. The problem is, I have no idea of how to create a resume for this particular position. Or any job, for that matter. I just don't know what to put down in the "personal statement" part.

Even if I look for other jobs, I wouldn't know what to do. Working at my LFS sounds fun in theory, but it's technical work and you need to be pretty well-versed with fish (and customer service) to work one of those jobs. So then I considered working at a supermarket, which is also far too much customer service for my meek self. Pathetic, I know.

In short, I'm desperate for a job - I don't care what it is as long as it's nearby and has hours within daylight. Cash in hand, temp jobs, or even just one-off things. I just want to prove to myself that I can actually do something other than wasting away in my bedroom.

How old are you again? 17? Can you drive yourself?

16, and I don't think I'm able to drive until I'm 18... I can work my way around public transport very well though. So there's that.
That’s a shame.

Have you talked to your parents about working? Are they ok with it? Are you still in high school?

Given your state of mind, I'd recommend you do something you enjoy. Go talk to the folks at your area fish stores. See what work they might have for you. If you really like doing it and it is keeping your mind active, then give it a go. Taking on work that you don't enjoy will probably lead to the same result as going to classes... you'll have to drag yourself out of bed and dread it so much you'll stop doing it. If the hotels interest you, submit an application and see what happens. Look online for how to make a resume. I've been a hiring manager for many years and if you want to send it to me for some tips, I will gladly give you my input (for what that's worth). Sometimes perfection can be the enemy of progress. Your resume doesn't have to be perfect. If you are truly interested in a specific job and want to get your foot in the door, the hiring manager will pick up on that. In many cases, enthusiasm and likability will go farther than previous work experience. The old saying "it's so hard to find good help these days" is true. If you are a dependable worker and always try your best, you'll go far!

Given your state of mind, I'd recommend you do something you enjoy. Go talk to the folks at your area fish stores. See what work they might have for you. If you really like doing it and it is keeping your mind active, then give it a go. Taking on work that you don't enjoy will probably lead to the same result as going to classes... you'll have to drag yourself out of bed and dread it so much you'll stop doing it. If the hotels interest you, submit an application and see what happens. Look online for how to make a resume. I've been a hiring manager for many years and if you want to send it to me for some tips, I will gladly give you my input (for what that's worth). Sometimes perfection can be the enemy of progress. Your resume doesn't have to be perfect. If you are truly interested in a specific job and want to get your foot in the door, the hiring manager will pick up on that. In many cases, enthusiasm and likability will go farther than previous work experience. The old saying "it's so hard to find good help these days" is true. If you are a dependable worker and always try your best, you'll go far!
Thank you, this is really helpful. I'll keep all that in mind. Now it's just trying to format a resume...

Yep, they completely encourage it, but haven't pressured me into it since they know it's stressing me out.

Nope, dropped out in November. Would have been going into 12th grade in September.
Oh, I forgot you are in the UK, my bad. (The grades are different between the USA and the UK. :rolleyes:)

——

I would say go for it.

Working at an LFS will give you tons of knowledge on fish (you may not know all of the stuff, but the owners/other workers can teach you. You can also do lots of research before interviewing for the job) and it will put you in direct contact with people, which would be good for your mental state.

——

The real question is: What do you like doing?

If you like yard work, work at a yard store. If you like cars, work at a mechanic store.

Work at what you love, that way, it doesn’t seem like work. :)

Thank you, this is really helpful. I'll keep all that in mind. Now it's just trying to format a resume...
Here are some things that may help. ;)

Here are some things that may help. ;)

Thanks!

Couple of quick tips....
1. Keep the resume to one page
2. Use spell check, grammar check, and all those tools to make sure you don't have any errors
3. Put your strengths up front - list things in order of what you think will make you stand out most for the job
4. Absolutely include hobbies and interests. This will be especially helpful for your applications with LFS's.
5. If you don't have a degree yet, emphasize your coursework.
6. Don't list you dropped out or haven't completed school. Maybe you can put anticipated graduation date TBD or sometime next year? Just to show you still have an interest in getting your high school diploma (US term - not sure what you call it there). If you had good grades, list your grade point average. If you did any extracurricular activities, list those, too (sports, music, etc.).
7. If you have Microsoft Word, there is a resume template tool. That might be a good free option if you have Word.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask for help. It sounds like you want to turn things around in your life and that is awesome. Something good is sure to come your way!

I will add one more thing.... if you are not able to get a paying job, volunteer somewhere. We call it an internship here in the states. Some internships pay minimal, others are unpaid to help young people get experience in order to land their first job. If you don't need the money right now, it may be an option to help you get experience. Often we will hire our star interns once a paid position opens up. Otherwise, they have experience and skills necessary to land their first job elsewhere.

My advise to you is. Make a list of the places you want to work and go door knocking.

For me I always wanted to be a Bread Baker, I made a list of the Bakeries I wanted to work in and I just showed up on their door. The first Bakery I went to employed me. I have used this approach for all the jobs I have had throughout my life.
As someone who has owned Bakeries, I have always tried to give the kid that shows up a job, some of those kids have now got Bakeries of their own. Some are friends now after 35 years.

I will add one more thing.... if you are not able to get a paying job, volunteer somewhere. We call it an internship here in the states. Some internships pay minimal, others are unpaid to help young people get experience in order to land their first job. If you don't need the money right now, it may be an option to help you get experience. Often we will hire our star interns once a paid position opens up. Otherwise, they have experience and skills necessary to land their first job elsewhere.
We call them apprenticeships over here... I've been thinking about volunteering in local charity shops and such, but the only one close by is a children's hospice and I don't think my heart could take it. But I forgot about that actually, I might go looking for an apprenticeship at some point.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back