What should I add next?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello TFF, I need help with aquascaping with this tank. This tank is 65 Gals includes 3 discuses, an angelfish and 2 silver dollars and 2 small tinfoil barbs (which my friend just put it in a tank while im not home months ago ugh...)
Also is there anyway to make filter tube not visible?

Attachments

• 1314C58B-B1FF-4809-B00A-99BAD7CFBDC8.jpeg
    1314C58B-B1FF-4809-B00A-99BAD7CFBDC8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
Hi, personally to start with I would change the flexi blue pipe to a rigid black tube routed straight out and take it from there.

You should add.... Water.... Fill that tank all the way up!

Your stocking is all over the place.

Silver dollars are skittish and not good with discus or angels. They need to be in a group of 6+

Tin foils get very large, need a bigger tank and should be kept in groups as well.

I would not add anything until the tank is stocked properly.

Silver dollars are skittish and not good with discus or angels. They need to be in a group of 6+

Tin foils get very large, need a bigger tank and should be kept in groups as well.

I agree. Just add water for now,

What should I do with tin foil then.

I suggest moving the piece of driftwood into the back left corner. Then, but the blue tube be hind that and arrange it so you can’t see it from the front.

Also, push it think the subtracted. It looks like it’s just resting on it. Add some plants in front of it and around it once you move it.

What size tank is it?

I suggest moving the piece of driftwood into the back left corner. Then, but the blue tube be hind that and arrange it so you can’t see it from the front.

Also, push it think the subtracted. It looks like it’s just resting on it. Add some plants in front of it and around it once you move it.

What size tank is it?
Yeah, that was what I was meant to say.

Hello TFF, I need help with aquascaping with this tank. This tank is 65 Gals includes 3 discuses, an angelfish and 2 silver dollars and 2 small tinfoil barbs (which my friend just put it in a tank while im not home months ago ugh...)
Also is there anyway to make filter tube not visible?
Wouldnt add any plants to the tank the silver dollars will eat them all.
As for your fish stocking not sure why you would keep all these fish together they all belong in separate tanks with more of their kind

Following along from post #7, another way would be to leave the filter (blue) where it is and move the cunbk of wood to the right and closer to the front. This woould hide the filter. It also prevents something being dead centre in a tank which is always best avoided as it makes the space seem smaller visually. I am a great fan of vertical chunks of wood in corners and it also helps to hide the ends of the tank, by which I mean you visually think there is more going past the wood.

I agree on the fish stocking...separation is needed.

Get a pre-filter sponge for the powerhead.
Use a clear hose instead of blue.
Shorten the hose.
The driftwood is too big for the tank, especially with tinfoil barbs that could panic and swim into it.
Round the edges off on the driftwood so there are no sharp pointy bits.
If you keep the driftwood in the tank, it should be moved to one side.
Silver dollars aren't a good fish for discus because they are nervous fish that can panic.

I would get rid of the silver dollars and tinfoil barbs. Put some tall growing plants along the back and grow them in pots or trays so you don't need lots of sand on the bottom. Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma and narrow Vallis all work well along the back.
Find some other dither fish to go in there and remove the 3rd discus when the other 2 pair off.

I agree with all said above :)

Firstly, make sure your background is not black/dark, else the Red/Orange Discus will develop peppering and the Blue/Turquoise Discus will turn very dark.
Change to blue or dark blue or any light colour background.

Reduce your driftwood to a smaller size or you can even remove it completely.
Driftwood will pose a risk of injury to the Discus.
Discus are timid fish and they easily get panicked and will run into the driftwood whenever they are frightened.
Put only soft plants or soft fake plants in your tank to prevent injury to the Discus.

I agree with Colin on the fish stocking idea.
Remove the Silver Dollars and Tinfoil Barbs and add some dither fish like Cardinal Tetras as their colours are striking and a good combination with Discus.
Other Tetras are also possible.

Make sure that the Angel fish is not bigger than the Discus, else it may attack the Discus as Angel fish is more aggressive than Discus. Discus are very peaceful fish.

Lastly, add another 3-5 Discus for them to feel more secure. The bigger the group, the better they are.
Add Red Melon, Golden Yellow/Albino Yellow, Blue Diamond/Cobalt Blue, and/or Malboro Red if you want to have a colourful tank.
But if you prefer patterned Discus, look for Blue/Red Snakeskin, Turquoise Tiger, Pigeon or Red Map Discus.

But take note that if any of the Discus pair up, you will need another tank ...probably a 20-30 gallons tank for the pair.

Also, make sure that you quarantine your dithers fish before bringing them into the tank.

Last edited:
Get a pre-filter sponge for the powerhead.
Use a clear hose instead of blue.
Shorten the hose.
The driftwood is too big for the tank, especially with tinfoil barbs that could panic and swim into it.
Round the edges off on the driftwood so there are no sharp pointy bits.
If you keep the driftwood in the tank, it should be moved to one side.
Silver dollars aren't a good fish for discus because they are nervous fish that can panic.

I would get rid of the silver dollars and tinfoil barbs. Put some tall growing plants along the back and grow them in pots or trays so you don't need lots of sand on the bottom. Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma and narrow Vallis all work well along the back.
Find some other dither fish to go in there and remove the 3rd discus when the other 2 pair off.
The thing is my friend is trolling me, he said if I dont want this barbs he will throw it in a toilet (I know he wouldnt do it) but when he came at home he just put them in there and now I dont know where should I put them.

Silver dollars are from the fish store which they dont know anything about stocking, my stocking is horrible in every tanks.

Have you got a spare pond that the ducks can't get to?
If you do, you can put the barbs in that, otherwise sell them to a pet shop.

Most reactions

trending

Back