what should a goldfish tank look like?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
just wondering, what should a goldfish tank look like? do they need room to swim, or have a planted tank like bettas? can they live in those plastic kiddy pools, or do they have to live in glass tanks? im taking about calico Fantail Goldfish.

edit: no, i'll try not to get goldfish lol

If in an aquarium they need room to spin around, they aren't the best drivers depending on species lol. Live plants as always are best but they don't need so many that they can't swim. Goldfish and their relatives poop A LOT, so bare bottom is the easiest to clean, sand is a nightmare. So if you use substrate I would say gravel is better as long as you have a gravel vac. I have a koi-shubunkin hybrid in my bedroom tank. Him and a high fin pleco share a 75gallon until the hybrid gets older and he goes to a pond. There are hides for the pleco, a few tall plants and a couple pieces of driftwood and some larger stones so my pleco has something to hide in and hangout on. The koi-goldfish doesnt do much but swim around the top and middle of the tank

No big rocks or driftwood in goldfish tanks. Just have some live plants growing along the back and leave the rest of the tank open for the fish to swim around in.

Avoid flimsy plants. Val, water sprite etc will all be eaten or uprooted. Most go for java ferns or anubis species with goldfish. Glue or string them to small rocks or blunt wood that has no sharp edges. Driftwood can damage the fins of some types. Goldfish don't need hides either so no caves etc.

Bare bottom is a weird thing with goldfish. I firmly stand against it. Goldfish can spend up to 80% of their day rooting around in sand for food etc. Bare bottom robs the fish of its natural foraging behavior and to me just LOOKS weird and unnatural too. Gravel traps too much grime and I had a stupid fish EAT gravel like food which can kill them.

Sand is definitely best. You don't need a lot. An extremely thin layer will do the trick. And it is simply best to keep goldfish with other goldfish. There are often problems when attempting to mix in other types.

Well... in a perfect world the best tank for goldies is.............. a pond.
Or, 100 litres per goldie until they are 10 cm long. Beyond 10 cm, 150 litres per fish, 200 liters when it comes to very active Comet.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back