What's new

What other fish can I put

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

NotFishyFishGuy

Reaction score
hey and about 25 guppy fry. I have let the baby guppies free into the tank so there is no net or cage separating them. They have been doing fine. I was going to sell some guppies and keep some, add 2 more mollies 2 more swordtails and 3 more golden algae eaters. I also might add some amazon puffers since they are supposed to be more peaceful than most puffers. However, if I don’t add the puffers, what other fish could I add that are cool and unique?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What size is your tank? What is the hardness of your water?

Puffers should not be kept with other fish because they regularly bite the other fish and if they are stressed or die, they can release toxins into the water and kill everything.

Some puffers come from soft acid water and others from hard alkaline water. Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) come from hard alkaline water.

What size is your tank? What is the hardness of your water?

Hey sorry there was a glitch the tank size didn’t show in the text my tank is 60 gallons. I’m not sure what the hardness is though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Puffers should not be kept with other fish because they regularly bite the other fish and if they are stressed or die, they can release toxins into the water and kill everything.

Some puffers come from soft acid water and others from hard alkaline water. Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) come from hard alkaline water.

Amazon puffers are supposed to be more peaceful and I have heard of some people keeping them in community tanks. I know that normally something like a figure eight or green spotted puffer would most likely kill my other fish or at least really stress them out. I’m not sure about the type of water these puffers prefer

The GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Amazon puffers are supposed to be more peaceful and I have heard of some people keeping them in community tanks.
They will fin nip anything in their path at feeding time.

As they are from the Amazon they are softwater fish so would not thrive in a tank suited for guppies and mollies.
They are exclusively carnivores and many will only eat live food. This makes the tank quite messy, which can be a problem because they are particularly sensitive to organic waste.

The usual recommendation for these is 1 fish per 15G (assuming no other fish). But they are also social fish and should be kept in groups of 6 or more. I would not recommend these for your tank.

I agree, puffers are not community fish. Seriously Fish has this on thee Amazon puffer:

Not aggressive as such but unsuitable for the general community aquarium, and best-maintained alone or in a larger set-up with other fluvial fishes.

This species naturally forms loose aggregations and can behave nervously in the absence of conspecifics. Ideally a group of 6 or more should be purchased.​

And by "larger" they mean much larger than 60 gallons, as the minimum tank for a group of just the puffers is:
An aquarium with base dimensions of 120 ∗ 30 ∗ 30 cm or larger is required for long-term care.​

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/colomesus-asellus/

Before deciding on any other fish, you need to pin down the GH and pH as other members have advised. While some fish manage in variable parameters, depending, others have very specific needs if they are to be healthy and live normal lives.

I agree with everything that was said above. ^

[Carinotetraodon travancoricus], also know as “Dwarf Puffers”, and definitely not community fish. They regularly nip other fish’s fins with there sharp beak.

Also, as stated above, you need to pin down your GH, ph, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia, before getting any fish.

(P.S. You will also need a huge supply of live food, or snails, to fill their tummies!) :)

I hope this was helpful! :)

The GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Ok I will try to

They will fin nip anything in their path at feeding time.

As they are from the Amazon they are softwater fish so would not thrive in a tank suited for guppies and mollies.
They are exclusively carnivores and many will only eat live food. This makes the tank quite messy, which can be a problem because they are particularly sensitive to organic waste.

The usual recommendation for these is 1 fish per 15G (assuming no other fish). But they are also social fish and should be kept in groups of 6 or more. I would not recommend these for your tank.

I see. I may just give up on getting the puffers. What other cool fish could I put?

I agree with everything that was said above. ^

[Carinotetraodon travancoricus], also know as “Dwarf Puffers”, and definitely not community fish. They regularly nip other fish’s fins with there sharp beak.

Also, as stated above, you need to pin down your GH, ph, Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia, before getting any fish.

(P.S. You will also need a huge supply of live food, or snails, to fill their tummies!) :)

I hope this was helpful! :)

I think I’m not going to get the puffers then. By the way, I was taking about the Amazon Puffers not the dwarf puffers, but either way I won’t get them

Good decision to forget any puffers. As for other suitable fish, we need to know your hardness (GH) and pH for the source water (tap water). You might be able to get this from the website of your municipal water authority if you are on city water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back