What makes you special?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the digital version of the dictionary. Webster I believe. We also have a huge paper copy of it and I'll use that sometimes
Useful, but seeing how that's easy to "update" and change the meaning of words, I have a special place in my heart for physical copies of books I love. Not to mention that some truly become unobtainable at some point.

Useful, but seeing how that's easy to "update" and change the meaning of words, I have a special place in my heart for physical copies of books I love. Not to mention that some truly become unobtainable at some point.
Yep, my mom has well over a thousand books. She gets more almost weekly haha

@Fishmanic Not sure a dictionary can be outdated. I use a Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (copyright 1965) and I have found that dictionaries are all different. Some have more words and others have less. I think that an older dictionary usually has words that newer ones feel are irrelevant or no longer in use. If a guy reads old literature you will need an old dictionary. Also , older dictionaries have more information on etymology. Ideally a guy would have several dictionaries . I would love to have a look at yours. Treasure it.

@Fishmanic Not sure a dictionary can be outdated. I use a Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary (copyright 1965) and I have found that dictionaries are all different. Some have more words and others have less. I think that an older dictionary usually has words that newer ones feel are irrelevant or no longer in use. If a guy reads old literature you will need an old dictionary. Also , older dictionaries have more information on etymology. Ideally a guy would have several dictionaries . I would love to have a look at yours. Treasure it.
I love using unusual words that have fallen out of fashion, too. Like the word 'Slattern'. Sounds awful, but isn't really! There are so many great (and not all insulting, just fun words) words that have fallen out of general usage, but are relatively common in older literature.

That unabridged dictionary was my long gone father's. He was always interested in discovering new words. He used it often. It sits on a special oak stand with two shelves underneath. He had mounted a special light on the stand just for the dictionary. It is about 2300 pages long.
My long gone mom and I used that dictionary when we would play scrabble together in my younger days.

Last edited:
I love using unusual words that have fallen out of fashion, too. Like the word 'Slattern'. Sounds awful, but isn't really! There are so many great (and not all insulting, just fun words) words that have fallen out of general usage, but are relatively common in older literature.
Me too! On occasion, I enjoy sitting down with the dictionary just to read it :)

That's marvellous, young people expanding their vocabulary!
Even if I wanted to sit and read the dictionary I couldnt... As soon as I would open it and read the first word and meaning my brain would be wandering in another planet 😅

she needs to scan them into a computer and save multiple copies of them just in case something happens to the original paper copy.
Or she just scans it on to the computer and gets rid of a few of the paper copies to clear up just a little space 😅

there is nothing like s hard copy of a book.
Yes, I agree I like the paper copy of a book when reading it BUT... I do think that if you have thousands, its a good idea to store some of the ones you don't read often on the computer so that way you have room for either hard copies of books you really want to get OR other things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back