What kinda Bettas are these?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I just got a news letter from an awesome fish store here in Sweden and they wrote down a list of the new fish they got in.

In the list they had written down in the Betta section

Betta smaragdina
and
Betta imbellis

I've never heard those names on this forum. Are these the latin names? If so what are the common names? No other pet store around here carries special bettas so I am really curious as to what kind these are. I am excited...would love it if they had some exotic bettas around here!!!!! :hyper:

Yes, they're moreso wild types of betta :nod: Several members keep them. Smaragdina are the true orginal short tailed wild fighters. They're now captive bred and even mixed with splendens to create new fin types and color strains. There are mouth brooding bettas too, those who carry their fry in their mouth for about 2 weeks. Here's a list of species,just click a name and it will show you pics and info.

http://ibc-smp.org/

Hi,

Well the letter was in Swedish and I am not Swedish I'm American. I don't know much about Bettas and I thought those might be the names of them in Swedish. I just thought it would be easier to come to the Betta section and ask. Just trying to learn. :-(

I think I prefer the bettas with big beautiful tails compared to these :*)

Thanks Wuv for answering your always so helpful and kind!!

You're welcome,Elisabeth. And you better feel free to ask anything,anytime!! A lot of the members like to be friendly as well as helpful :whistle:

So you're presuming what I meant by reading a few lines of text? If anyone is being rude, it's you for making that comment.

Teelie,

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be rude...I guess maybe I took what you said the wrong way. After reading over it again I see you were just trying to help. Sometimes it's hard when reading things on-line to understand how the person is sounding. Something meant to be one way can be read the totally wrong way.

Just a misunderstanding I guess. Friends? :)

I wasn't referring to you, but the way wuvmybetta commented. Sorry about that. I don't have any problems with what you said. :) She just assumed too much of my post.

Teelie said:
I wasn't referring to you, but the way wuvmybetta commented. Sorry about that. I don't have any problems with what you said. :) She just assumed too much of my post.
Teelie,
I suggest you keep comments like this out of people's topics. This isn't the first time I've seen you turn a thread into 'all about Teelie'. Yes my comment was a stab at rudeness,I won't deny it.

So you're presuming what I meant by reading a few lines of text? If anyone is being rude, it's you for making that comment.

But coming back and spamming a topic is ridiculous. I've been answering questions in this particular forum for well over a year now,don't come in here and basically tell somebody not to ask about something!

Sorry Elisabeth :)

Funny, I can say the same of you. You have a bit of an attitude problem as well. In case you hadn't noticed, you are the one who took it off topic. :)

This is true, I did take it off topic a bit because I'm not going to let you make rude comments towards me without retorting. Had you have never said anything about my post at all,we'd still be on track.

Talk about attitude. I suggest this be the end of off topic posting in this thread.

hmmm.. the wild bettas are cute because they are different i think. I wouldn't mind having one or two, but i think i'll stick with my brightly colored big tailed boys ^_^

my kingdom for a pair of smaragdina :D
in fact, last night i dreamed i was in washington state, visiting a fish store. in one tank they had about 7 pair of smaragdina (at least that's what it said on the glass outside the tank). at first i wasn't sure as they didn't really look like smaragdina but eventually they flared and i saw that they were indeed what i had been searching for. so, (remember, still in my dream) i wanted to get a pair and was already thinking about how i was going to get them across the border, hmmm, would i just not say anything and smuggle them across or would i be honest and end up paying some big fee? well, didn't matter what i decided, the problem was the store owner was ignoring me, he had some other person he was showing fish to and wouldn't give me the time of day.... :/ i woke up shortly after...

ps, i blame that dream directly on this thread, if i hadn't been reading it at like 2am last night..... :p

bkk_group said:
my kingdom for a pair of smaragdina :D
in fact, last night i dreamed i was in washington state, visiting a fish store. in one tank they had about 7 pair of smaragdina (at least that's what it said on the glass outside the tank). at first i wasn't sure as they didn't really look like smaragdina but eventually they flaired and i saw that they were indeed what i had been searching for. so, (remember, still in my dream) i wanted to get a pair and was already thinking about how i was going to get them across the border, hmmm, would i just not say anything and smuggle them across or would i be honest and end up paying some big fee? well, didn't matter what i decided, the problem was the store owner was ignoring me, he had some other person he was showing fish to and wouldn't give me the time of day.... :/ i woke up shortly after...

ps, i blame that dream directly on this thread, if i hadn't been reading it at like 2am last night..... :p
That's not a happy ending!!
Maybe you can redream tonight and when the store owner ignores you,you casually bag the fish yourself and leave the cash on the counter :hey:

Elisabeth....you should go get some :*) or at least one of each :hyper:

Most reactions

Back