What kind of moss is this?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Koenator

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I recently acquired some moss from a local creek I visited. I put it in a small jar to wait for all the parasites to die out (probably for too long, the discoloration hopefully doesnā€™t mean it will die soon), and everything i saw in the jar has died so I took the moss out and washed it thoroughly before trying it in my 30 gallon tank.

The moss had attached itself to a piece of a stick so I simply stuck the stick into my substrate and I am hoping itā€™s not too late for it to spread from there.

Anyways, I canā€™t seem to find any info online as to what kind of moss it is. For context I live in central Pennsylvania, USA. None of the varieties I see in google images looks like this. Hoping an expert can help me identify it, or maybe warn me if this moss is somehow dangerous or bad for mt fish? Thank you.

Attachments

• 97D4F68C-C5B5-4A2E-A7B7-C04584C2E488.jpeg
    97D4F68C-C5B5-4A2E-A7B7-C04584C2E488.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 57
Since you took it out of a creek it will probably die just because you changed its natural conditions too much. It won't have its natural sunlight and it won't have creek water flowing over it bringing it nutrients. The temperature difference from outside to inside will factor into its demise as well. But what the hey ! It was a good idea but nothing ventured nothing gained. Go with store bought aquarium plants from now on.

Since you took it out of a creek it will probably die just because you changed its natural conditions too much. It won't have its natural sunlight and it won't have creek water flowing over it bringing it nutrients. The temperature difference from outside to inside will factor into its demise as well. But what the hey ! It was a good idea but nothing ventured nothing gained. Go with store bought aquarium plants from now on.
I figured it will probably die, but I am more just curious about what kind it is; Iā€™m guessing you donā€™t know either?

I figured it will probably die, but I am more just curious about what kind it is; Iā€™m guessing you donā€™t know either?
No, I don't know. North American aquatic plants are a whole different thing than the tropical and sub-tropical plants that are familiar to most people here. There might maybe be a Peterson Field Guide to North American aquatic plants that you could consult but I don't know that for sure either. I've seen plants like that in creeks before and it does look nice , too bad it can't be our indoor friend.

It definitely is awesome looking! Have no idea what it is either, since it's not a tropical aquarium plant, and I'm not even American. :)

Makes me think of liverwort type plants though, rather than a moss maybe? Hard to tell. If it could grow in a typical tropical tank, people would snap it up for sure.

It definitely is awesome looking! Have no idea what it is either, since it's not a tropical aquarium plant, and I'm not even American. :)

Makes me think of liverwort type plants though, rather than a moss maybe? Hard to tell. If it could grow in a typical tropical tank, people would snap it up for sure.
It really is unfortunate, when it had color it was very beautiful in the creek - long, silky, deep green tendrils swaying in the current. If I could grow it, probably would be a hot item

It's probably a lichen that was growing on a twig- and then fell into the creek.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back