What Kind Of Cichlid For 17Gal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mr130gallon

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have a planted 17 gallon tank with 4 black neon tetras and a female kribensis, but i dont want to have it planted, and i would like a cichlid in there, what is the best suited cichlid for that tank if its the only fish in there, is it possible to get a small but not dwarf cichlid for it? like 4 inches or so. dimensionz are 29.5x12x11.5 lwh

i have a planted 17 gallon tank with 4 black neon tetras and a female kribensis, but i dont want to have it planted, and i would like a cichlid in there, what is the best suited cichlid for that tank if its the only fish in there, is it possible to get a small but not dwarf cichlid for it? like 4 inches or so. dimensionz are 29.5x12x11.5 lwh

so you want just 1 fish by itself, not a pair? i think you'd be much better off with a pair of dwarf cichlids but maybe you could squeeze a convict in there or somethin.

I view your krib as a cichlid, they are in fact a dwarf west african cichlid. Maybe you could see cichlid type behavior if you merely added a male krib to your present mix.

How about a group of shell dwellers? They are generally more peaceful.

shell dwellers sounds cool, i was thinking more something like a convict, but i think they grow to big.

@oldman i have a male krib, but my female beats him up, and i dont want to breed cichlids right now.

Yeah your krib is a cichlid as old man said from africa, I wouldnt add an other cichlid to the tank if your keeping the female. But if you are rehoming the female you have a few options though I wouldnt go as large as 4 inches I would stick closer to 3 - 3 1/2 inches. Some of the cryptoheros would do well esp females and some of the females are easy to spot. Female HRPs are nice.

If you dont want dwarfs that have quite a skinny look to them like apistos sometimes have you could look at dwarf acaras like laetacaras, nannacaras or krobia.

i think u'd be better off sticking to apistogramma spp., or smaller, cichlids

Apistogramma cacatuoides?
apistogramm nijsseni ?
Apistogramma hongsoi?
Apistogramma viejita?
blue rams?
gold rams?
bolivian rams?

any of those are good choice for a tank your size :D

female HRP maybe but there are much better choices good suggestions above, female firemouth is a no only reason I said hrp is because of the big size difference between genders but then again if she is alone shes not going to be putting energy into breeding so will grow more and faster than those in breeding pairs. There are better choices than the hrp

im not a fan of apistos, except cocatoo apistos, plus there arent any apistos in any of my lfs' that i know of, i have some bolivian rams already, and i have hard water so blue rams are out of the question. dwarf acaras sound sorta good, i like was suggested i dont like the skinny cichlids so much, i like the 'big cichlid' look. would a keyhole cichlid work?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back