What is your favorite love song?

Hard to imagine a better love song than " Something" by the Beatles
Going with the same era this may sound strange but how about "I'm A Believer" by the Monkeys? I can't say it is my favorite but a good song. My favorite is "When A Man Loves A Woman" by Percy Sledge.

And "Cover Me" also by Percy Sledge. While not as well known as "When A Man Loves A Woman", also excellent. In my opinion he was the master of the love song.

I had not heard thess in ages until I watched the movie again the other night.

And this is a close second, from the same movie

Suzanne by Leonard Cohen
Believe it or not Suzanne was my neighbour for a year. She was a very odd woman - okay , a very eccentric old hippy by then. I used to sit on my porch and watch Suzanne take her garbage, to a place by the curbside, she was wearing an old housecoat and slippers that came from China...

Leonard Cohen lived about 10 blocks away, and I'd pass him and we'd say good morning to each other when I walking to work. I always kind of hoped he'd pass by when Suzanne was out front, but I never got to see him run. It must have been weird, to have a moment in time frozen into such a beautiful piece of writing.

Believe it or not Suzanne was my neighbour for a year. She was a very odd woman - okay , a very eccentric old hippy by then. I used to sit on my porch and watch Suzanne take her garbage, to a place by the curbside, she was wearing an old housecoat and slippers that came from China...

Leonard Cohen lived about 10 blocks away, and I'd pass him and we'd say good morning to each other when I walking to work. I always kind of hoped he'd pass by when Suzanne was out front, but I never got to see him run. It must have been weird, to have a moment in time frozen into such a beautiful piece of writing.
Interesting story. I have three books of his poetry composed before his ballad career took off.

any Lord Huron song.

‘Meet me in the woods’ (Lord Huron) comes to mind, but the superior best love song in the world is Ends of the Earth (Lord Huron). Im going ti their concert in May, I hope they play those songs :)

Thats so cool!!! Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen is one of my favorite songs of all time, although I prefer the Rufus Wainwright voice than the deep story-telling Leonard Cohen

Thats so cool!!! Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen is one of my favorite songs of all time, although I prefer the Rufus Wainwright voice than the deep story-telling Leonard Cohen
No one does Leonard Cohen better than Leonard Cohen IMHO.

I read Cohen's poetry in my teens and he was an abstract figure. I knew he lived in Montreal, but so did a lot of mythical seeming people. Then I moved out and got a cheap flat off Marie Anne street, and it seemed for the poetry inclined, the whole area was full of familiar symbols. Pretty soon I began to notice Cohen wandering around, and the street rule was total respect - no one bothered him. He was just a guy, albeit a striking one. I used to play on a weekend ball team where you had to be a published poet or writer to be on the team, and he thought this was funny when he ran into us in a bar after a game. After that, we'd say hello when we met, but nothing more.
As a young guy who got along well with older people, I met a lot of characters from his life, and his songs. He had more ex-muses than seemed possible.
But while he wandered a working class and immigrant neighbourhood, and rented a flat there starting in his 20s, he came from wealth and never really fit in except as an outsider inside. He was a loner who seemed to draw inspiration from the streets, but who socialized in another world. He also had homes in LA, Greece, and up on the hill. He always walked alone when I saw him. I think his cheap flat, which he kept like a museum, was his working place.

My favourite living songwriters are Tom Waits, John Darnielle and increasingly, though I hate the country sound, Jason Isbell. I think it's neat to see how songs came to matter to people - there are so many great ones but the best are the ones with associations.

I read Cohen's poetry in my teens and he was an abstract figure. I knew he lived in Montreal, but so did a lot of mythical seeming people. Then I moved out and got a cheap flat off Marie Anne street, and it seemed for the poetry inclined, the whole area was full of familiar symbols. Pretty soon I began to notice Cohen wandering around, and the street rule was total respect - no one bothered him. He was just a guy, albeit a striking one. I used to play on a weekend ball team where you had to be a published poet or writer to be on the team, and he thought this was funny when he ran into us in a bar after a game. After that, we'd say hello when we met, but nothing more.
As a young guy who got along well with older people, I met a lot of characters from his life, and his songs. He had more ex-muses than seemed possible.
But while he wandered a working class and immigrant neighbourhood, and rented a flat there starting in his 20s, he came from wealth and never really fit in except as an outsider inside. He was a loner who seemed to draw inspiration from the streets, but who socialized in another world. He also had homes in LA, Greece, and up on the hill. He always walked alone when I saw him. I think his cheap flat, which he kept like a museum, was his working place.

My favourite living songwriters are Tom Waits, John Darnielle and increasingly, though I hate the country sound, Jason Isbell. I think it's neat to see how songs came to matter to people - there are so many great ones but the best are the ones with associations.
Thanks for sharing.

What is your favorite love song?​

"Torn between two lovers"
Also the movie (with Lee Remick) with the same title is one of my favorites...

A couple ones that I like

Most reactions

trending

Back