What is wrong with my water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bettafishlover86

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is the trail I made in the water with my feeding spoon. The top of the water is cloudy and I can make a trail in it. Any ideas of what is going on in my tank?

Attachments

• 217B9AAA-8290-497F-B916-F2CB138D5166.jpeg
    217B9AAA-8290-497F-B916-F2CB138D5166.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 55
What's the picture of?
If it's the aquarium, try tank a picture from the front of the tank.

Milky cloudy water is caused by a bacterial bloom, and is common in newly set up tanks, or tanks with a lot of uneaten food in. A big water change will usually fix the problem.

What's the picture of?
If it's the aquarium, try tank a picture from the front of the tank.

Milky cloudy water is caused by a bacterial bloom, and is common in newly set up tanks, or tanks with a lot of uneaten food in. A big water change will usually fix the problem.
My fish got in the way of the picture lol. Only the top is cloudy and the rest of the water is fine. I tried a water change a few days ago but the stuff just came back

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 43
Is there any aeration/ surface turbulence in the tank?
If not, then it's just an oily film that appears in tanks without aeration. You can try running a piece of tissue or paper towel across the surface. Or invest in an airpump and an airstone, and add some aeration to the tank.

Is there any aeration/ surface turbulence in the tank?
If not, then it's just an oily film that appears in tanks without aeration. You can try running a piece of tissue or paper towel across the surface. Or invest in an airpump and an airstone, and add some aeration to the tank.
Not necessarily, even with aeration it will still appear, the only way to get rid of it without active maintenance is with an overflow or surface skimmer, and sometimes the overflow doesn't work.

Your water in the tank becomes cloudy because the water in the pipes in the pipe coming to your house is tiny, producing a bit of pressure and it can cause bubbles in the top of the tank which looks cloudy.

That causes bubbles in the water not cloudiness.

There are three types of cloudiness - a bacterial bloom, an algal bloom and dust from the substrate. The question here is not about cloudy water but about a film on the surface which is usually caused by oil from fish food floating on the water surface.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back