What Is This?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That's an anubias; they do flower quite often in tanks, although the flower will die if it can't get above the water.

Anubia* that's what I meant haha
Well thank you anyway! Never knew they could flower!

None of mine ever have, so well done!

And I'm presuming flowering is a good sign? :)

I've always been advised to deflower them if they are below the waterline as the plant puts all its efforts into the flower and can sometimes lead to the whole plant dying. Like a little banana at the moment right?

Yep :) it's about 20cm up from the bottom in a 46cm high tank

Sophie said:
I've always been advised to deflower them if they are below the waterline as the plant puts all its efforts into the flower and can sometimes lead to the whole plant dying. Like a little banana at the moment right?
That is also what I was about to mention. I can't say I know for a fact it's true or not but when mine flowered, which was regularly, I didn't remove it and there didn't seem to be any ill affects. But that could be due to other conditions in the tank. It was a rather high nutrient tank.

The general rule of plants and flowers is that, yes, they will put tons of energy into flowers and seeds.  Generally this is more true of annual plants that flower and die (completely), whereas perennials flower and die back, but live on.  

However, if this guy doesn't emmerse, I imagine it'll die before any seeds are made.  

The question is, are anubias annuals or perennials?  I have no idea.  Probably perennials because you can keep them healthy for years in tanks even without them flowering. 

So... Remove it or keep it? It's tied to drift wood so I could somehow move it above the water

I think it's a great plant, I certainly would keep it.

I just looked in my plant book and it lists them as perennials by the way.

Mine have been flowering since I had an algae problem and their leaves got algae on them (they never flowered in the year I had them before that).  I've never removed the flower and its stock unless it went off color and none of my plants have lost any color.  I do have a well stocked tank though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back