What is this on snail shell? Injury?

Murf.

Reaction score
Black racer nerite snail. I just noticed this. Nothing in my 10 gallon could cause this. Snail is over inch long and huge compared to fish.
Is it an injury? Do they heal?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_080805968.jpg
    IMG_20210127_080805968.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 50
It seems like shell erosion to me. Shell erosion happens when their is a defiecency of calcium in the aquarium, not enough calcium in the aquarium for the nerite.

Calcium helps keep the shells of snails looking nice, hard and healthy. When there is not enough calcium the shell starts to kind of like peel of.

You can try feeding your nerite foods rich in calcium and see if that helps improve the shells, they are picky eaters so they might not accept the food.

You can put your nerite in a cup, crush the food rich in calcium and spread it all over the bottom of the cup that your nerite will go into and that might help him eat the food. You can do this during your water changes.

How old is your nerite?

Usually the older they get the more their shell erodes naturally over time. With my Nerite that is around 3 years old, his shell was starting to erode also and I have tried feeding him calcium rich foods but he never accepted them. And I knew my water had enough calcium since I also have cherry shrimp in the aquarium and they also need calcium to molt and I never had a problem with them molting at all. Also my GH in my aquarium is around 8 dgh so it has a decent amount of calcium present. So I just left him and he still is alive and moves around the tank.

I would test your gh to see the calcium levels in your aquarium.

It is also possibility that it could be an injury also, I believe that the shell will heal naturally, you will just have to stay on top of your water changes and make sure that your water stays clean. And his shell well regrow naturally. :)

My Nerite
1611755855699.jpeg

looks like something is eating the shell, another snail perhaps.

It seems like shell erosion to me. Shell erosion happens when their is a defiecency of calcium in the aquarium, not enough calcium in the aquarium for the nerite.

Calcium helps keep the shells of snails looking nice, hard and healthy. When there is not enough calcium the shell starts to kind of like peel of.

You can try feeding your nerite foods rich in calcium and see if that helps improve the shells, they are picky eaters so they might not accept the food.

You can put your nerite in a cup, crush the food rich in calcium and spread it all over the bottom of the cup that your nerite will go into and that might help him eat the food. You can do this during your water changes.

How old is your nerite?

Usually the older they get the more their shell erodes naturally over time. With my Nerite that is around 3 years old, his shell was starting to erode also and I have tried feeding him calcium rich foods but he never accepted them. And I knew my water had enough calcium since I also have cherry shrimp in the aquarium and they also need calcium to molt and I never had a problem with them molting at all. Also my GH in my aquarium is around 8 dgh so it has a decent amount of calcium present. So I just left him and he still is alive and moves around the tank.

I would test your gh to see the calcium levels in your aquarium.

It is also possibility that it could be an injury also, I believe that the shell will heal naturally, you will just have to stay on top of your water changes and make sure that your water stays clean. And his shell well regrow naturally. :)

My Nerite
View attachment 127679
Piece of cuttlebone in the tank provides calcium, as well...

shell errosion is most often cause by low PH if the PH is above 7 erosion should not occur. It also is helpful to put sea shell or piece of coral in the filter. They are made from calcium carbonate and will erode and neutralize acids and push the PH up to 7. You only need 2 degrees of GH to supply enough calcium. However most of the calcium they need comes from eating algree

Only one snail, one shrimp, 2 zebra danios, 2 really small sparkling gouramis. My ph is 8.4. I have a well and use soft water. With last water change I started adding a little bit of hard water and will start adding a little more with each water change. I would think that would add calcium to the water. I usually do 2 gallons per change (10 gal tank). Should my goal be 50/50 hard/soft per change, so 1 gal of each per change?

Piece of cuttlebone in the tank provides calcium, as well...
So do I buy one of those cuttle bones like for birds and break off a small(?) Piece and throw into the tank for the snail to eat on?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back