What Is The Capacity Of My Tank? Edit

paulypaul182

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
232
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Birmingham, Uk
Hi all, I have a new tank. I got it free from someone along with a matching base. It doesnt say what the manufacturer is anywhere and the ex owner cannot remember.
Its 6 sided _
/ \
I___I

From middle to clockwise the measurements are 27.5" x 6" x 10.5" x 39.6" x 10.5" x 6". Height from top of substrate to water level is 16.5".

Im a really lucky boy. It came with a light, 2 filters (a fluval 2 and a really huge filter which i think is a fluval), a trickle bar which the fluval that I dont know runs. Theres also a heater (I really should have checked the make and models before I put it in there). Both filters are fully mature.

With the tank came 2 common plecs, a yellow chilchid and a zebra patterned loach type fish. Ill have the pictures of the yellow chilchid and the loach thing so I can have them Id'd as I have no idea what they are. The Chilchid and the plecs will be up for sale soon.

EDIT

I think its a yellow lab
DSC00676.jpg


This is a picture of the zebra thingy. Not a great picture as he is darting about all over the place. He is between the rocks and the plants just left of centre (left as you look at it)
DSC00669.jpg
 
Is the back Flat? Is it a Flat hexagon tank? Do you have a pic? I think it may be a 20g, just like mine.
 
@ Six sides!! : ...also known as a HEXAGON! :D

It looks like a 20, lemme do my math :3

Also, that zebra looks absolutely great!
 
Yes it is a hexagon, (6 sided), but not a regular hexagon as far as I can make out.

Paul, are you SURE that your measurements are correct?

The way I am interpretting them is that your tank is 27.5" across the front, 39.6" across the back, and each of the 'diagonal' pieces is 6" ?
Code:
.  ___
. /   \
.|	 |
. -----

This doesn't work for me if you follow these numbers:

Back of tank - front of tank = 39.6 - 27.5 = 12.1 (probably 12)

That means that between them the 'slanted' sections of tank take 12" of the length of the tank, (from left to right), so 6" each.
Therein lies the problem though. If you deal with just the 'slanted section of tank now and think of them as triagular shaped columns of water (draw an imaginary line from the front of the tank towards the back from the point where the front face meets the 'slanty' glass, and also draw an imaginary line frmo the side of the tank to the other side where the side fo the tank meets the 'slanty' glass), your triagular column of water has the following dimensions:

Code:
. |\
.a|  \ b
. |----\
.  c

With a=? b=6" and c=6".

This just isn't possible :P You CANNOT have a triangle with one side and the hypotenuse the same length as each other, (it would just be a single straight line!)
Either I haven't read the measurements right, I've made a mistake, or else the measurements are wrong?

PS: Sorry the forum does seem to like 'ascii art' very much and I can't upload any images from here, so I hope you can understand my graphics :(
 
oh i thought it was a regular hexagon. didnt see that. so we need to work out and irregular hexagon

Which I can easily do, but not with 'impossible' triangles in the corners - lol
Need to wait for Paul to verify the measurements.
 
i can work this out. i need lengths of each of the 6 sides. a length from fornt to back and side to side and i need height i then can work it out using trigonometry and pythagoeum
 
i can work this out. i need lengths of each of the 6 sides. a length from fornt to back and side to side and i need height i then can work it out using trigonometry and pythagoeum

Please explain how you are going to work it out. It's not that I can't work it out, it's that the numbers provided along with the tank construct indicated do not work together.
The lengths of the 6 sides, and the length from side to side, and the height are all listed in the original post. The only measurement that is missing is a front to back measurement, but you should be able to calculate that.
However I am certain that you will find the same situation as me, it's very simple maths.

In the original post it is STATED that the diagonal sections of glass measure 6"
In the original post it is STATED that the front flat glass measures 27.5"
In the original post is is STATED that the back glass (ie. the overall tank width) measures 39.6"

THEREFORE the 'width' of each of the slanted corner sections is the width of the front flat section of glass, subtracted from the overall width of the tank:

39.6 - 27.5 = 12.1"

As there are TWO sections of slanty glass (one each side), this 'left over' width is divided equally between them:

12.1" / 2 = 6.05"

THEREFORE the slanty section are STATED to have a hypotenuse measurement of 6", and are CALCULATED from the other tank measurements to have a width of 6.05".

Pythagoras STATES that the sum of the square of the 2 sides of the triangle is equal to the square of the hypotenuse.

This means that in this case:

6.05" ^2 + ?^2 = 6" ^2

36.6025 + ?^2 = 36

It just will not work! You CANNOT have a triangle with either sides longer (or the same length) as the hypotenuse!
 
Yes it is a hexagon, (6 sided), but not a regular hexagon as far as I can make out.

Paul, are you SURE that your measurements are correct?

No, as you discovered, they are out. From front to clockwise; 27.5" x 6" x 28" x 36" x 28" x 6". I really have no idea how to work out numbers. Its like I have mathematical dyslexia. Seriously, its really bad.

"truckasauras123 Posted Today, 10:56 AM
i can work this out. i need lengths of each of the 6 sides. a length from fornt to back and side to side and i need height i then can work it out using trigonometry and pythagoeum "


Length from front to back - 15"
side to side - 36
Height - 16.5



Anyone know what the fish are in the photos?
 
Sorry Paul, this has confused me even further!

From front to clockwise; 27.5" x 6" x 28" x 36" x 28" x 6".

Front: 27.5"
Diagonal: 6"
Side: 28"
Back: 36"
Side: 28"
Diagonal: 6"

Length from front to back - 15"
side to side - 36
Height - 16.5

I agree with you on the "side to side" but the "front to back" can't only be 15" if the side straight pieces of glass are 28" on their own!
 
one fish i belive to be a zebra loach. (it is definately a loach!) i think its the botia family. they eat snails amazingly, so your tank will not become over run. they will also take bottom feder pellets.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top