What Is The Best Water Testing Kit?

StatMan

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
222
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Chelmsford, Essex
So I have some of the quick dip strips, which are good to indicate a problem in a hurry, and have gone through two Interpet East Test Kits, the ones with the tablet(s) for each of broad ph, Nitrite, Nitrate (two tabs) and ammonia (two tabs).

Cycling a new tank at the moment thread here:

[topic="272468"]Fishelss Cycling 1 Day In Amonia Almost Down To 0, Bacteria in old Filter
[/topic]

I am getting through the tests fairly quickly and need to think about getting some more, so I have seen a few mentioned on here what do you use, would you recommend it and why? Note UK based if that makes a difference?

<RANT> Do other test kits come with proper test tubes? how much cheaper can a kit be made for by providing palstic tubes that crack after 2-3 uses and then leak the water when you shake them as recommended? Did the kits ever have proper tubes and then some bean counter decided that we could save a couple of pence by putting inferior palstic ones in there? </RANT> :angry:

StatMan
 
I use the API master kit there good i bought it due to the fact everyone recommends them they come with 4 glass tubes when i run out i wil defo being buying another u get about 700 test out of it in total thats ph high / low, ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte
 
Dad,

Your Rant loses effect when you have typo's.

You should check for spelling first!!! :lol:
 
tablet and strip test are very very unreliable :( go get a API master test kit as mentioned above much easier last longer and far more accurate ...not 2 mention glass test tubes lol :P
 
API all the way.
the master freshwater test kit can be bought for just £14,99 on ebay at the moment!
 
tablet and strip test are very very unreliable :( go get a API master test kit as mentioned above much easier last longer and far more accurate ...not 2 mention glass test tubes lol :P

Jen, Thanks for the reply

No I realise these are not that reliable, however we use them as a quick gauge as to whether we need to do a full test.



API all the way.
the master freshwater test kit can be bought for just £14,99 on ebay at the moment!

Looks like the concensus is the API which I was leaning to anyway.

Best price I can find on fleabay is £15.39 + £3.00 delivered, any pointers to a cheaper one, have tried several search parameters.

Thanks for all replies

StatMan
 
tablet and strip test are very very unreliable :( go get a API master test kit as mentioned above much easier last longer and far more accurate ...not 2 mention glass test tubes lol :P

Jen, Thanks for the reply

No I realise these are not that reliable, however we use them as a quick gauge as to whether we need to do a full test.

unfortunately m8 there not even any good as a quick/rough gauge there that inacurate the readings could well say u have a problem when infact everythink is ok and vice versa :)
 
tablet and strip test are very very unreliable :( go get a API master test kit as mentioned above much easier last longer and far more accurate ...not 2 mention glass test tubes lol :P

Jen, Thanks for the reply

No I realise these are not that reliable, however we use them as a quick gauge as to whether we need to do a full test.

unfortunately m8 there not even any good as a quick/rough gauge there that inacurate the readings could well say u have a problem when infact everythink is ok and vice versa :)


Damn another shortcut down the drain!!

Thanks for the info I guess get the proper kit and do the test each time!

StatMan
 
It was only ever going to be API Master fresh water kit accurate and simple to use :good:
 
I find the API kit to be completely rubbish.

I took two amples of the same water and tested them at the same time. One gave 0ppm nitrates, the other 160ppm. Add to this frequent testing false positive on ammonia and nitrite and I feel they are cheap and nasty. If you really care then look more towards the salifert tests.

There's a reason that those who really rely on tests (reefkeepers) rarely use API.

Edit--

I shoudl add that any test of the sort aimed at the hobby is going to be miles away from reliable lab grade equipment. They should be used as a guide to levles at best, and nothing more.
 
I find the API kit to be completely rubbish.

I took two amples of the same water and tested them at the same time. One gave 0ppm nitrates, the other 160ppm. Add to this frequent testing false positive on ammonia and nitrite and I feel they are cheap and nasty. If you really care then look more towards the salifert tests.

There's a reason that those who really rely on tests (reefkeepers) rarely use API.

Edit--

I shoudl add that any test of the sort aimed at the hobby is going to be miles away from reliable lab grade equipment. They should be used as a guide to levles at best, and nothing more.

OK so this a different angle to others.

The fact that we only have freshwater tanks would this make a difference? As it seems a lot of the adverts for these products refer to marine and as you said above reefkeepers.

I realise that a water test should not really be affected by the type of water but why are these so much better?

StatMan
 
not really no hobby test kits are accurate they are a guide
Very true. If you get stuck up on the numbers you will go grey with worry all too quickly.

I think the greying process is already set in enough that I do not have to worry too much on that front!!

So reading this kind of gets me thinking that there are 3 - 4 levels of test kit, as far as qualityof the results are concerned and then maybe 1-2 (or 3) levels of complexity in perfomring the tests.

Would there be any benefit to putting together a table covering cost per test, accuracy levels, simplicity of the test process, any other "parameters" that would provide a guide to newbies who by arriving here are probably looking for further information to help speed their learning.

I fall in the later category but I also think you can't always take and need to put something back into any forum, other wise it becomes stale, with those with greater experience becoming tired of answering the same questions.

I'd be happy to do some research on the "known factors" i.e. cost per test and then try and gather opinion on the accuracy level.

We are keeping what I believe to be very simple tropical fish, primarily guppies, platties, gouramis, oto's, tetras. Now whilst trying to keep the conditions as best as possible for the fish (and the plants) are we in a position where the range is wider than for other more specialist fish?

I guess this is a slightly long post but if there is value in what I propose I am happy to invest the time.

StatMan
 

Most reactions

Back
Top