What Is The Best Filter To Have With Red Cherry Shrimps

Lettybetty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
could you please advise me on what is the best type of filter to have with orange and red cherry shrimps,
at the moment I have a under gravel filter and a air stone but I'm worried that any babies are being sucked into the gravel, would a sponge filter be better,
if I removed the under gravel filter would I be able to see any babies in the tank so I don't kill them.
thanks for your help

Undergravel filters are'nt very effective, a sponge filter or power filter are definately better at maintaining good water quality :good:
Whilst there are babies in the tank, a sponge filter will be best, how old are the babies?

I have a fluval internal with a tight wrapped around it, I's agree though that sponge filters are better but my shrimp can still graze of the tight near the intake.

EDIT: Also :hi:

Undergravel filters are'nt very effective, a sponge filter or power filter are definately better at maintaining good water quality :good:
Whilst there are babies in the tank, a sponge filter will be best, how old are the babies?

not sure I have seen 4 about a week ago but only seen 1 lately,
I am new to shrimp keeping,
can you see the new born or are they that small you can't see them

I have a fluval internal with a tight wrapped around it, I's agree though that sponge filters are better but my shrimp can still graze of the tight near the intake.

think I will get a sponge filter as soon as possible

If you are moving from a cycled filter to a sponge filter then I recommend keeping both running for a while until the sponge has enough bacs to support the tank. Shrimp are very suseptible to water conditions. Some sponge filters have a chamber to keep bio media inside the sponge, if yours has this then place some of the gravel in there to help 'seed it'.

not sure I have seen 4 about a week ago but only seen 1 lately,
I am new to shrimp keeping,
can you see the new born or are they that small you can't see them

think I will get a sponge filter as soon as possible
there very small, but you can see them
sponge.jpg
2826073952_f45328dea3.jpg

love the pic
the ones I have seen are clear I think they are from the orange shrimps as I only got them 2 weeks ago.
at the moment I have got gravel would I be better getting some sand?

sorry more questions.

If you are moving from a cycled filter to a sponge filter then I recommend keeping both running for a while until the sponge has enough bacs to support the tank. Shrimp are very suseptible to water conditions. Some sponge filters have a chamber to keep bio media inside the sponge, if yours has this then place some of the gravel in there to help 'seed it'.

thanks will look into getting one

I have got a sponge filter his morning and I will set it up along side the undergravel filter how long can I leave it before I can remove the under gravel one please

I have shrimp in most of my tanks.
The Betta tanks have a sponge filter, my others have Fluval U3 & 4' &my shrimp do fine I often see the adults swimming in the current, never found any shrimplets inside the filter

Cazar have you found shrimplets in your Tank?

after reading lots on here somewhere (been all over the forums lol) I read that the shrimps like drift wood so while putting the sponge filter in I moved a piece of driftwood out of my baby tank into the shrimp tank, the shrimps are all over it they seem very happy

I did buy 10 orange shrimps and later 4 red cherry but while sorting the tank out I don't think I no longer have as many, I know that 3 orange have died but could only see 4 but I did see 3 very small babies hopefully with the new filter when the under gravel one is took out I will get more babies

I am new to breeding cherry shrimp and I started with an internal Fluval filter but did not not see any shrimplets. I then put a pair of tights over the filter but I found that any waste was being drawn to the filter but just staying on the outside of the tights. I was keeping my cherry shrimp with endler guppies. I decided to move all of my cherry shrimp to a tank of their own with plenty of plants, moss balls and bogwood and bought a sponge filter which I had cycled. Now they are breeding great and I am really pleased. Sponge filter every time if you are looking to breed shrimp. I hope you get on well!

Cazar have you found shrimplets in your Tank?

Yes I have, though had to look very carefully as they're so tiny at first
I have lots of moss & wood in my tanks for them to hide in.
Just got some willow moss & the shrimp are all over it

think when the sponge filter is cycled I an going to have a good sort out of my tank removing the under gravel filter at the mo I have got light coloured gravel so going to change it for black gravel, the olny thing I am worried about is if I don't see the babies and they get killed with sorting before I start I will empty some of the water into a bowel at put the shrimps in and I will check and double check the tank I would hate to kill any.

Lukeavaient thing I will be ok when I have sorted the tank out just got to wait for the sponge to cycle I have got both at the mo. also in the tank got 2 moss balls and a coconut shell covered in java moss but they seem to be on the bog wood more so will get some more and put java moss on it

thanks for all your help hopefully in a few weeks I will be sorted and have a lively shrimp tank

Most reactions

Back