What is that?! Help me please.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ZeFulin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new in the hobby and when I turn on the lights on my tank this night I've seen for the first time these creatures, looks like baby spiders but it is not possible in the water.
I have a FW tropical tank 180L.
I have one betta who nowadays spend most of the time laying on the bottom or on some leave, also I have 1 Guppy, 1 Endler Guppy, 3 pigmy coridoras, 5 cardinal tetras, 1 mollie, 1 danio, 1 unknown, 2 nerite snails, a few ramshorn snails that I'm trying to he rid of, 3 amano shrimps, 6 cherry red shrimps two dwarf (suckers) otocinclus.
I haven't check the water parameters yet, but last time was everything okay (about two weeks ago).
Is anyone able to help me?
What is these small things?
Is it dangerous?
How to get rid of it?

I have upload this small video to show it.

Thank your in advance

Cheers
Zé Fulin
Screenshot_20210308-102741_Gallery.jpg

Seed shrimp, I believe. Not harmful! Leave your fish hungry for a couple of days, and they'll likely pick them off :)

Hi guys,

I'm new in the hobby and when I turn on the lights on my tank this night I've seen for the first time these creatures, looks like baby spiders but it is not possible in the water.
I have one betta who nowadays spend most of the time laying on the bottom or on some leave, also I have 1 Guppy, 1 Endler Guppy, 3 pigmy coridoras, 5 cardinal tetras, 1 mollie, 1 danio, 1 unknown, 2 nerite snails, a few ramshorn snails that I'm trying to he rid of, 3 amano shrimps, 6 cherry red shrimps two dwarf (suckers) otocinclus.
I haven't check the water parameters yet, but last time was everything okay (about two weeks ago).
Is anyone able to help me?
What is these small things?
Is it dangerous?
How to get rid of it?

I have upload this small video to show it.

Thank your in advance

Cheers
Zé FulinView attachment 131076
How long has the wood been in there?

Hi guys,

I know this post isn't about your stocking, I hope you don't mind my mentioning this! I only bring it up for the wellbeing of your fish, and so you get the most of the species you're keeping!

At the moment, you have what I call a "pick 'n mix" tank. Where you go to the store and get one of these, one of these, two of these, oohh, and I want one of these!" Super easy to do, especially when you're new to the hobby and there are so many fish you want to keep. But many of the species you have are social fish who really are happier living in groups of the same species. The pygmy cories, cardinals, danios, otocinclus and amanos are all happier when in larger schools, and you don't see them at their best in small groups or singly.

If you post photos of your unknown fish, someone will be able to ID it, I'm sure :)
Pygmy cories are very shy, and do better in groups of 10-12, without larger and much faster fish like danios and mollies pushing them around. Mollies, endlers and guppies also need harder water, while otos and pygmies need it to be softer - keeping either in the wrong kind of water hardness shortens their lifespan.

I'd really recommend finding out what your water hardness is, so you can plan out your tank stocking with that mind. Then don't add any different fish, but research the heck out of the species you currently have, and work out whether some would be better off being rehomed or returned, or having more of the same species added to bump them up to a good school size. Trust me, you'll get so much more enjoyment out of seeing a decently sized group of pygmy cories zipping about and lazing about out in the open, than you will from having three who are hidden away and stressed most of the time!

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby, and I hope you understand and take this advice in the friendly spirit it's meant in :)

I know this post isn't about your stocking, I hope you don't mind my mentioning this! I only bring it up for the wellbeing of your fish, and so you get the most of the species you're keeping!

At the moment, you have what I call a "pick 'n mix" tank. Where you go to the store and get one of these, one of these, two of these, oohh, and I want one of these!" Super easy to do, especially when you're new to the hobby and there are so many fish you want to keep. But many of the species you have are social fish who really are happier living in groups of the same species. The pygmy cories, cardinals, danios, otocinclus and amanos are all happier when in larger schools, and you don't see them at their best in small groups or singly.

If you post photos of your unknown fish, someone will be able to ID it, I'm sure :)
Pygmy cories are very shy, and do better in groups of 10-12, without larger and much faster fish like danios and mollies pushing them around. Mollies, endlers and guppies also need harder water, while otos and pygmies need it to be softer - keeping either in the wrong kind of water hardness shortens their lifespan.

I'd really recommend finding out what your water hardness is, so you can plan out your tank stocking with that mind. Then don't add any different fish, but research the heck out of the species you currently have, and work out whether some would be better off being rehomed or returned, or having more of the same species added to bump them up to a good school size. Trust me, you'll get so much more enjoyment out of seeing a decently sized group of pygmy cories zipping about and lazing about out in the open, than you will from having three who are hidden away and stressed most of the time!

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby, and I hope you understand and take this advice in the friendly spirit it's meant in :)
Wow!
Thank you so much. I have learnt a lot with these few lines.
I definitely will follow your advice.

However let me justify my mixed tank.
I started in the hobby just before Christmas in 2019, so it is 1 year and 3 months. My test fish was two platies (I got the biggest two in the shop) they died in January 2021. Few weeks later I got 7 pgmy Corys. I was so happy with my livestock in my 30l tank.
Than one friend of my was throwing his female of ender guppie in the bin (because he would like to have just males) . I stopped him and took it to my tank and he gave me also a male. Few weeks later I had about 30 fishes in my tank (they reproduce a lot) and because of that I set up a new tank (my current one) I split the females from the males. Males in the bigger tank with my Corys and the two platies.
Even without male every week I had babies in the small tank, later on I found I shop who accept donations and I have taken around 70 fishes to them (most of it babies) so I left 3 babies and about 8 males in the small tank and I gave the tank to my sister, but only after dropped after the tank I noticed that by mistake I let 1 endler in the big tank. So I decided to put cardinal tetra to give some colour to the tank. I bought five and I was planing to have in total 15, buying 5 each week, but the lockdown came and the shop closed.
Than my friend again was killing his fishes, so I brought home 3 ( Mollie, danio and unknown fish) .
Months later I heard about one fish shop open 10 miles away from my house, and I went there to get more cardinal tetras. They didnt have so I came back with a betta and one guppie with the intention of be a company for the endler. Last month I was tired to brush away the algae and went the same shop to get the nerites and the two suchers. The shrimps are to Complete the cleaning crew.

During this time 4 Corys desapeared (I assume they have died) and today I found 1 more dead. So I only have two now.

Now I will test my water to find the hardness. In your opinion which one I should add and which one I should re-home (I know it would dependo of the water).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back