What Happened To My Snails?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nordk

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, a month ago I put a melon sword in my gourami tank. About 2 weeks after that I noticed some Malasian Trumpet Snails crawling around, so I've been keeping an eye on the little hitch-hikers to make sure they don't take over. However, I found none today. The only occupant of the tank is a male Dwarf Gourami, and I'm pretty sure he didn't eat them. There's no way they could have gotten into the filter, and the only thing I've added to the tank in the past few days is an underdose of salt starting on Sunday, as the gourami has picked up a parasite. (Don't worry about him, I found a few threads here with the same issue, and the salt appears to be working.
smile.png
 )
Any theories on what happened to the snails?
Have I discovered a new means of pest-snail control?
ohmy.png

They wont like the salt much for one... but mainly... those little pests bury themselves!

snails are very salt sensitive, most likely you killed some and others buried themselves to get away, after the salt eventually works its way out of the water they will most likely come back and when they do just buy a couple assassin snail. They kill all your other snails and they themselves are not pest that will take over.

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I got most of them, at least I hope so.

great info.....i had hundreds and hundreds of snails invading my 55 gal tank
no.gif
no.gif
. Since I used salt and raised temp of the time of the ick, i used quick cure
good.gif
. I think it killed them.
winner.gif
 ​ I am still waiting to see if any is hiding etc.... 
noexpression.gif
so far i saw empty shells. hmmmmm 
whistling.gif
. Remember snails do not need a mate as it does it on its own. 
wahey.gif

huh, i should buy the assassin snail. Just one????  I need something to clean off the algae on the glass. Well my a. eater is doing it. 

also i boil the snails in a pan of hot water. I didn't want them to invade my septic tank and my house. lol
I have plenty of slugs and snails invading my outside plants. 
no.gif

shout.gif

ninja.gif

angry.png

What type of algae eater do you have, none (with the exception of otto's) continue to eat algae when they get bigger, and many (quite a few plecs, CAE's, etc.) get quite big and some get aggressive.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back