What Got You Into Raising Fish?

I got into it around 8 - 7 (Started with my betta), Im twelve right now and I'm very happy.

I guess, I just loved my betta when I was 8. (apparently, I wanted to do all the work. This meant cleaning the bowl, and all that. Feeding it, etc.)

:) I wanted a pet, thats what I knew I wanted. Something cool. :D Not something smelly, though. ): That would, clog your noses if you went to my house.

Good thing that happens to fish only if the lids up, (No gaps) :D


Also, I started from coldwater -- Tropical

The person my uncle works with gave him a free 50g tank, with everything cause he didnt need it. :D Well, i was inspired. So, in 2007, or 2006 I bought a 5g tank. I filled it with pretty neons, and a little cory that passed away after the huge epidemic in my tank ):. (He was really small)

Yeah, first year just looking at his fish was awesome. They were small, and were cool but after a year or two, his fish grew huge. :D He only lost two gouramis throughout that time. :D
 
I started in the hobby when I was 15. For my birthday my parents took me to a pet store and bought a 10 gallon tank and all the essentials. That was 16 years ago. I started with guppies and mollies. I also read alot of books and talked to a good many experienced people about fish husbandry. I guess I was about 18 when I bought my 2nd tank, 55 gallons this time. I bought a red oscar juvenile to go in the 55 and raised him to a full 14 inches. After that I bred angels for a bit. I was 21 when I bought my first discus. After that I kept african cichlids and bred those for a while. I did alot of research before I jumped into rainbows and haven't stopped! If you are wondering why I changed fish so much its because I moved too far away for my fish to make the trip and had to start over.

So I guess to answer the original question, my parents got me into keeping fish.
 
i started not long agi, i was on the setee and some cook program was on and gordon ramsey was on, and he was cooking live baby eels and i though to myself "they look awsome" and the next day i went tank searching
 
My parents always had tropical fish while I was growing up, although I remember clearly they used to lose many mollies and neons over the years, dont know why!

Then my eldest brother kept them when he got his own place, mainly tropicals and my younger brother (who is older than me :lol:) kept several large Marine tanks when he left home too, he gave up fishkeeping a good few ago now, when he got married :rolleyes: Ive always liked them but never had the time to try it myself due to bringing up kids and moving ALOT over the years, but 4 years ago my eldest brother died and I wanted to do something that would remind me of him and because he loved the hobby so much, I decided to give it a try, made lots of mistakes but ultimately enjoyed it, my youngest child who is now 4 is autistic and he just loves learning about all the fish we have and others in the LFS so he has spurred me on in the hobby as it gives him many hours of pleasure to watch the fish and he has an incredible thirst for knowledge about them which keeps me on my toes :lol:
 
I have a servilely disabled daughter (CDLS). she loved my friends tank so much i bought it! after a week she was using it to stand up, something she had never done before. its still one of the few things, apart from toys, she will engage with.
 
Like many other people my parents had fish when I was a nipper (late 70s and early 80s). When I got my first house (1997) I got a 3 foot tank that failed miserably due to a lack of knowledge on my part. Had that for about two years.

What's got me back in? I had a gap in the corner of the study and was at the local pet superstore getting stuff for the dogs when I saw the tank that would fit perfectly. IUt's fishless cycling right now. :)
 
well i started about 8-9 years ago when i bought some goldfish 10 of them in a medium plastic tank and as they got bigger some died then i bought a glass tank about 50 litres and put all my gldfish there then i bought a 2 feet glass tank which i bought more goldfishand putted in there ad for first ime my dad bought 4 tropiucal fish[zebra danio,red wagtail platy,guppy and neon tetra-which unfortunately got eaten] after that i been fascinatein tropical fish then i bought a new 150 gallon tank and put goldfish-massive goldfish in it now it got massive tropical fish in like-clown knifefish and silver shark[they only babies at 10-15cm]
 
Like Kevinthecow I too started with a betta fish. His name was Fight-O since I heard they where Siamese Fighting Fish, and fought if you kept them together. Then after my first 2 bettas passed. I got 6 of them. Most I gave away though, then I got a 9th betta, named Carmel. That really really jolted my love for Betta fish. Then I got guppies, Then Gourmis, Then Minnows, then the Oscars, and my love for fish keeps growing. My next project is to find room to get a few Neon Tetras.
 
we were given a complete 30 gal with 15 goldfish and a fire belly newt.got rid of the goldfish and went from there.now,over 2 years later we now have a 60 gal as well.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top