What going on with my jaguars ??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

OMG_FL

Reaction score
I have 2 jaguar cichlids from about 10 months now when I brought them they were like 2".
After they grew up to be like 6" one of them started dominating the tank by showing territorial aggression towards his tank mates(including the other jag) which made me think it is a male.
But about a month ago he suffered from hole in the head disease so I seperated him and treat him for about 2 weeks in a hospital tank.
By thet time the other bit smaller jag started showing up mote and took control of the tank by replacing the old one as the dominant which also suggest that it is a male too I think.
After when I put the 1st one back in the tank they started fighting with each other for dominance(I think)for about a week or so.When I mean fighting it was real not a mating behavior bcz both of them has scratch markings and bit ripped fins(not a disease for sure too)You can see it on the video too
But about 2days ago they started staying together and now they've built a nest 🤨
Please someone tell wtf is going on ?🥲🥲

Sounds like you have a pair. Pairing up can be very rough, or very smooth.

I have 2 jaguar cichlids from about 10 months now when I brought them they were like 2".
After they grew up to be like 6" one of them started dominating the tank by showing territorial aggression towards his tank mates(including the other jag) which made me think it is a male.
But about a month ago he suffered from hole in the head disease so I seperated him and treat him for about 2 weeks in a hospital tank.
By thet time the other bit smaller jag started showing up mote and took control of the tank by replacing the old one as the dominant which also suggest that it is a male too I think.
After when I put the 1st one back in the tank they started fighting with each other for dominance(I think)for about a week or so.When I mean fighting it was real not a mating behavior bcz both of them has scratch markings and bit ripped fins(not a disease for sure too)You can see it on the video too
But about 2days ago they started staying together and now they've built a nest 🤨
Please someone tell wtf is going on ?🥲🥲
You're video was not linked.

3rd image there are scratch markings and ripped fins that I mentioned
I wasn't able to attach the video bcz it said the extension wasn't supported or something

Attachments

• PXL_20230818_092010498.jpg
    PXL_20230818_092010498.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230818_092006753.jpg
    PXL_20230818_092006753.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20230818_092417673.jpg
    PXL_20230818_092417673.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
The one with the ripped tail is a female - look at the rounded dorsal fin. I can't see the others outline but the male will likely have much more pointed dorsal and anal fins. Its much more likely you have a male and a female starting to pair off and breed.

Do you have a mesh barrier in the fish tank? Thinking that may injure the fish if you did?
But it's probably just a reflection.

Do you have a mesh barrier in the fish tank? Thinking that may injure the fish if you did?
But it's probably just a reflection.
No mesh barrier
And I can see it well by my naked eyes that's not a reflection

Most reactions

Back