What fish community can I havexpect with plattys

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nikki Giddings

Reaction score
Hi, I'm very new to owning tropical fish.
I have 5 plattys, 1 pleco and 5 clown mountain minnows. What other fish can I add to my tank. I would love a betta and some very colourful fish. I would also like some shrimp and snails maybe. I have a 160 litre tank. Any help or advise would be very appreciative. Thank you.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

A 160 liter tank is roughly a 40 gallon, for those who think better in Imperial measure! Knowing the dimensions will help us though, and also the source water parameters particularly the GH (general or total hardness, you can probably find this out from your water authority's website).

What is the pleco species? I ask because some grow huge, over 30 cm (12 inches) while others remain small (3-4 inches, 7-10 cm).

A male Bettas is not a good idea, this is not a community fish and is best on his own. He can take a real dislike to other fish, or other fish can enjoy nipping his fins. Here the minnows would be almost certain to find this bullying "fun."

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

A 160 liter tank is roughly a 40 gallon, for those who think better in Imperial measure! Knowing the dimensions will help us though, and also the source water parameters particularly the GH (general or total hardness, you can probably find this out from your water authority's website).

What is the pleco species? I ask because some grow huge, over 30 cm (12 inches) while others remain small (3-4 inches, 7-10 cm).

A male Bettas is not a good idea, this is not a community fish and is best on his own. He can take a real dislike to other fish, or other fish can enjoy nipping his fins. Here the minnows would be almost certain to find this bullying "fun."

Thanks Bryon.
It's a 5 inch pleco apparently won't grow much bigger than that. My tank is 121 x 46 x 62.
My plattys have already had fry. Only had them 4 days lol. I'm having to learn quick hehe.

Last edited:
Thanks Bryon.
It's a 5 inch pleco apparently won't grow much bigger than that. My tank is 121 x 46 x 62.
My plattys have already had fry. Only had them 4 days lol. I'm having to learn quick hehe.

These dimensions indicate a much larger tank, 345 liters (90 US gallons).

We still need to know the GH of your source water.

Most reactions

Back