What Filter To Get?

petertr

Fish Addict
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
756
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Peterlee, Co. Durham, England
Hoping for some advice here.


There's a poster on here who's looking for a Fluval 405 - which I currently have - But I don't think its sufficient for my 300L tank with Discus.


Looking on Ebay, I might be able to get my hands on an FX5 for around £100 if I'm lucky.


What I would like to know is, for the money, is there a better filter out there?
 
Might be a bit overkill with an FX5 but I guess you can turn the flow down. I would have thought a tetratec 1200 would be good enough for that size tank and they have a good rep too, plus about £65.
 
hi peter,i was reading in the,yellow paper just before christmas,there was 2 fx5s a lad over seaham had them 80 pund each,i have the number wrote down al try to find it and pm you,i tryed to buy the 2 but he wouldnt take any less,so i never bothered,al try find the number,,kenny
 
Hoping for some advice here.


There's a poster on here who's looking for a Fluval 405 - which I currently have - But I don't think its sufficient for my 300L tank with Discus.


Looking on Ebay, I might be able to get my hands on an FX5 for around £100 if I'm lucky.


What I would like to know is, for the money, is there a better filter out there?

go for the FX5, it has, roughly the right flow are for your tank. as the tetratec1200, actually only has a flow rate of around 600lph, it would be way to slow. the other option would be an Eheim pro3, you clearly don't have the money for that.
 
If its 300L I want about 4X that for my discuss. So needs a flowrate of about 1200L/hr


The Fluval is rated as 850L/hr, so in the real world, its probably closer to 2X.
The FX5 is rated as 2,300L/hr which, yes, is probably overkill - but can't hurt, right?



Kenny - that would be ace if you could - thanks very much!
 
Sponge filter. If you dont mind the look of them in your tank you cant get better bio filtration for cheaper. Get a big air pump and a hueu hung sponge from ebay.
 
hi peter,i was reading in the,yellow paper just before christmas,there was 2 fx5s a lad over seaham had them 80 pund each,i have the number wrote down al try to find it and pm you,i tryed to buy the 2 but he wouldnt take any less,so i never bothered,al try find the number,,kenny

Google is my friend - Found the ad and I've emailed him. Thanks mate!!

Sponge filter. If you dont mind the look of them in your tank you cant get better bio filtration for cheaper. Get a big air pump and a hueu hung sponge from ebay.

Needs to be external. Already had good internal filtration, which I removed to improve the look of the tank.
 
If its 300L I want about 4X that for my discuss. So needs a flowrate of about 1200L/hr


The Fluval is rated as 850L/hr, so in the real world, its probably closer to 2X.
The FX5 is rated as 2,300L/hr which, yes, is probably overkill - but can't hurt, right?



Kenny - that would be ace if you could - thanks very much!
the fluval is closer to 500lph than 600, in truth. and the FX5 around 1200-1400.
 
strongly reccomend you read my fluval vs eheim thread before buying a fluval. imo youd be MUCH better off with a 2nd hand eheim
 
for the price, fluval fx5 is the way - it beats the top eheim's spec on most things - although to be fair, the eheims cycle quicker.

i have run 2 fx5s since they first came out, ive had no issues at all, my friends swapped out their eheims and got the fx5 and have never been happier.

that said, there are many great filters out nowadays, neither fluval and most certainly not eheim have the top slot anymore as per all the other posts about filters as this topic has been covered once or twice before lol
 
fluval will never match eheim for quality and reliability simple as .
 
hmm - i will actually agree that eheims are generally better quality, in regard reliability, not sure i would agree, everyone has different experiences some good some bad, the fx5 has not let me down, it has a much greater flow rate than eheims and can clear a tank of debris before the largest eheims even gets started - tic for tac really
 

Most reactions

Back
Top