What filter should I get?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Watersplasher909

Reaction score
i am remodelling my tank but am stuck on if I should get a new filter or keep my old one. If I do upgrade which filter should I choose?
My tank is a 100L tank. I have an aqua flow 300 but itā€™s very loud and hasnā€™t got very good flow strength. Iā€™ve heard the JBL e902 is good but itā€™s just so expensive. Iā€™ve been doing a lot of reaseach but itā€™s all American filter I canā€™t get into London. I have a lid that came with the tank so HOB filters are sadly off the table, I donā€™t mind internal filters, sponge filters are fine and maybe canister filters but Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re a pain to clean. Any suggestions that are good, quite and under Ā£60 (preferably that I can buy on UK Amazon)

Eheim Aquaball or Eheim Biopower. They look pretty much the same, but the Aquaball is green and has only sponges as media with slits in every basket for water intake while the Biopower is black and has the same basket at the bottom, with solid sided baskets above which contain Substrat Pro (a sintered glass medium).

For a 100 litre tank, I'd get the Aquaball 180 or possibly the 130. The flow rate can be turned down so there's no danger of turning the tank into a whirlpool with the larger model, it just costs more.
(I have a Biopower in my main tank but I've changed the media for all sponges)

Edit to add - both models have ceramic impeller shafts so if you decide to get one, buy a spare shaft as well as they can be broken.

Hello Water. If you change half the tank water weekly, you don't need an expensive filter. MaxxClean has a good sponge filter. You will need a good air pump to run it. AquaMiracle is likely the best. Just change half the water weekly and provided your city water is good, you shouldn't have any tank problems.

10 Tanks

im personally a fan of Chinese brand canister filters, you can get a good one with 1000 litre hour for cheap, they are pretty reliable but make a bit of noise, to get rid of the noise coat the impeller shaft with Vaseline original.

Hello Water. If you change half the tank water weekly, you don't need an expensive filter. MaxxClean has a good sponge filter. You will need a good air pump to run it. AquaMiracle is likely the best. Just change half the water weekly and provided your city water is good, you shouldn't have any tank problems.

10 Tanks
Great. I normally do a 70% weekly because itā€™s easy and keeps my tank clean

I have two aquaclears filters. On my 29 gallon (110L) I run a up to 50 gallon rated (190L) and it does great. Itā€™s currently $32 on Amazon
I canā€™t do HOBs because of the lid on my tank. Is there another filter thatā€™s good and semi cheap?

Eheim Aquaball or Eheim Biopower. They look pretty much the same, but the Aquaball is green and has only sponges as media with slits in every basket for water intake while the Biopower is black and has the same basket at the bottom, with solid sided baskets above which contain Substrat Pro (a sintered glass medium).

For a 100 litre tank, I'd get the Aquaball 180 or possibly the 130. The flow rate can be turned down so there's no danger of turning the tank into a whirlpool with the larger model, it just costs more.
(I have a Biopower in my main tank but I've changed the media for all sponges)

Edit to add - both models have ceramic impeller shafts so if you decide to get one, buy a spare shaft as well as they can be broken.
Thanks!

What do you stock that you need a higher flow rate? The aqua flow 300 is more than enough for your tank, but I fully understand wanting something quieter. I've had good success with Aquael filters and have one on the tank on my desk so can confirm they are quiet. Several to choose from here https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/20-internal-filters that are well within your budget.

P.S. The oft quoted adage that there is no such thing as too much filtration is a myth. Anything more than just enough is waste, so I would just keep it compact and simple.

i am remodelling my tank but am stuck on if I should get a new filter or keep my old one. If I do upgrade which filter should I choose?
My tank is a 100L tank. I have an aqua flow 300 but itā€™s very loud and hasnā€™t got very good flow strength. Iā€™ve heard the JBL e902 is good but itā€™s just so expensive. Iā€™ve been doing a lot of reaseach but itā€™s all American filter I canā€™t get into London. I have a lid that came with the tank so HOB filters are sadly off the table, I donā€™t mind internal filters, sponge filters are fine and maybe canister filters but Iā€™ve heard theyā€™re a pain to clean. Any suggestions that are good, quite and under Ā£60 (preferably that I can buy on UK Amazon)
any eheim canister filter is good. they are the best i promise you that!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back