What Effect Do Shrimp Have On Stock Capacity?

B2k2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 6 amanos already but want to get a few cherry shrimp as well. Just wondered if you have to count shrimp in the inch per gallon rule? :/ I'm pretty much fully stocked already and don't wanna push it...

Shrimps don't produce much nitrate. They do poop a lot but that's quite light stuff. So no problems with adding cherrys.

I think your stocking is pretty light and you probably don't have high nitrates? If not then I would add 2 sterbais more and for example 6 red cherrys. Maybe few otos more too. This also depends how often you want to change water. If you change 50% of water weekly then your tank can take even more fishes without problems.

So what are your water parameters and water change routines?

Thanks for the reply :D...

I worked out my stocking against the inch per gallon rule and at fully grown I'm at 28". I'm a bit confused with the rule because obviously with sand and rocks my tank is holding alot less water than 29 US gallons, approxmately 16.5 US Gallons. It is heavily planted which will help with stocking I guess.

My parameters are ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate around 10 - 20ppm. My nutrifin nitrate test kit is a bit hard to read so thats why i'm saying around 10 - 20. I am changing 6 US Gallons of 50% tap and 50% RO every week, which is about 36% of total water in the tank.

That inch per gallon rule sucks. Thats just my opinion though :p

Yeah you could have more fish in your tank then just those. Most small freshwater shrimp really dont produce too much poo.

I think you can go ahead and add more shrimp. They are recommended for people who want more in their tank but are at their limit because shrimp have such a small bioload. I wouldn't get anymore fish. I think it's better to understock (if you can resist filling it up :p ) than overstock. That way everyone has more room.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back