What Do You Do With The Old Water After A Water Change

Johng89

Fish Fanatic
Joined
May 2, 2009
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bonnyrigg, Midlothian
Bit of a strange question but thought I would ask as my garden is now flourishing
I have a 60l as in my sig and do a weekly 20-30%ish water change with my daughter helping its her tank
We started pouring the old water over some plants in the garden and they have really taken off and have flourished beyond any others
even teh old guy round the corner asked what I had done to my plants because of how they have grown !!!!! :good:

Just wondered what everybody else does with theres as it seems to keep my plants looking really good

PS ive not got green fingers by any means and I have lots of hard landscaping.
 
I usally sling mine down the toilet as iam in a flat, but yes alot of people use it to water the house and garden plants.....we had this convo before and i rem them saying that alot use it for plants :good:
 
Old fish water is basicly plant fertiliser, due to the natural build up of nitrates, phosphates etc
 
my plants and hanging baskets love mine!!! how gay does that sound!! :hyper:
 
my plants and hanging baskets love mine!!! how gay does that sound!! :hyper:

LOL!!! :lol:

Mine goes down the plug hole i would put it in the garden but it's been converted into an allotment (what old mothers do with there spare time is really unbelievable)
I don't fancy fishy lettuce :P
 
This is interesting as I put mine down the plug but will use it on the garden from now on. Would it be safe for dogs? As my little puppy is constantly eating plants and soil and anything else he can find! (I just mean with the chemicals that are in it)
 
When I use the python it goes down the drain, if I use the basic syphon I dump it in the flower garden
 
I use a python and my old water goes down the drain, but when I had a garden I used it. It makes rhododendrons grow beautifully. Now I use the water in the bucket after I rinse my filter media to water the house plants. Fish manure is a good fertilizer and if you try to buy it, it's an expensive one.
 
my tank water goes straight down the drain/toilet.

when i flush the filters on my koi pond though it drains to the very bottom of the garden where we have 15 newish conifers planted (they going to be converting a school into a load of 4-5 bedroom house :no: ) and you can tell where the water first drains to as the conifers are about 1 and 1/2 ft taller than the ones that dont get as much water. They've only been in over a year!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top