What Do Tap "watersoftners" Do To Our Fish?

saz326

Fish Herder
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hertfordshire
Krib - you say you have one of these......?

It is possible to have a watersoftner device fitted to kitchen taps etc, but how does it work?

I know that I use water softner tablets in my washing machine (tescos own much cheaper than calgon!!) - and these are basically salt. We put salt in our dishwashers to soften the water and make cleaning easier and leave no white deposits on our silverwear.....

..so does a tap watersoftner simply add salt to the water?

Does this have any impact on freshwater fishies?


edited to make title a bit more suitable for this forum.
 
You should get this transferred to the scientific section. They will have lots of answers for you there :)
 
they work by "swapping" calcium & magnesium for sodium.... not good for fish
 
You should get this transferred to the scientific section. They will have lots of answers for you there :)

Thanks Colin - Good suggestion to put this question in scientific- but I was almost sure that the water from these systems isn't good for the fishies, and with loads of people asking about how to soften water, the use of a tap water softening system might pop into their heads.

however - on colins note. Please Mods, if this should be in scientific - please do move it for me. This is one of those situations where it could go in either topic. I should have made the title more suitable. Shall see if I can change it.


they work by "swapping" calcium & magnesium for sodium.... not good for fish


Mike - Thought there might be some kind of ion exchange going on.. but that addition of sodium is kinda scary.

Do people REALLY use their softened tapwater for their fishies? I wonder if people manage to do so without any problems. Maybe the extra sodium in the water could help keep disease and bacteria down?

saz
 
there are other ways of softening water, I assumed we are talking domestic units?

DI and various specialist exchange resins can be used but are not cost effective on small scale.
 
I have a water softener in my house too. We have well water and all our water goes through the softener. I use it on all my tanks and have never had any problems. Fish breed and stay healthy, plants grow and pearl. I think the amount of sodium added is quite small.
 
Apparently it's hard on people's liver and kidneys if they drink water that's run through a water softener.
I don't think the effects are either immediate or obvious, but as I understand it, it's best avoided if poss.
 
Yeah, only it wasn't kidney stones that was the problem, but added stress on the typically already strained bodily filtration system - kidneys and liver - though I'm too lazy to look very thoroughly right now.
I do rather vaguely recall some types of systems using particular ingredients were specifically listed as the worst for consumption, and these may have become less commonly used in the ?decade and a half? since I read up on this.
But personally, I'd avoid drinking water run through a chemical/salt softener where possible, and I'd rather not use it on my fish either - too much is not commonly mentioned or, often, known.

When I lived in the Canadian province of Regina for some years, houses I lived in/visited there all had softener systems with separate drinking taps having an unsoftened supply for health reasons.
It was generally known to be important, although there may well have been different types in common use at that time, or previous to this - I've no idea and don't remember anything much specific on the subject at the moment.

Most info showing up on a fast Google and skim, at least in the search terms I used, and in the first couple of pages, seems to come from commercial operations selling water softeners as well as RO and other purification units.
All that's mentioned are things like potential heart problems/blood pressure increase from additional salt content.
And this, which I'll tack on out of interest, and as an example, although it's nothing to do with water softener salt.
It does, however, have to do with the reason for the above-mentioned organ stress already existing, which makes each increase in the bodily filtration load harder to deal with.

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-edu...er-standard.htm

... According to recent news and reports, most tap and well water in the U.S. are not safe for drinking due to heavy industrial and environmental pollution. Toxic bacteria, chemicals and heavy metals routinely penetrate and pollute our natural water sources making people sick while exposing them to long term health consequences such as liver damage, cancer and other serious conditions. We have reached the point where all sources of our drinking water, including municipal water systems, wells, lakes, rivers, and even glaciers, contain some level of contamination. Even some brands of bottled water have been found to contain high levels of contaminants in addition to plastics chemical leaching from the bottle. ...

I do know that to be factual.
It's really little or no better overall in many other countries, but U S info seems often easier to come by.
So I'd rather drink filtered and avoid anything added to water that I can as well.
And I'm highly suspicious of industry or other interested studies, statements and claims, these being mostly what we now see, as monetary flow now evidently runs only in that direction, to the point where universities and research facilities alike are now commonly dependent on commerce/polluters in all too many respects.

Things completely unmentioned may be even more essential than those which are.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top