What Do I Do With Unwanted Fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FreshwaterFish

Reaction score
Hi,  I've recently realised that I can't keep one of my platies due to it pestering another platy - though the fish store said that they'd be fine together :/  So now I'm not sure what to do with it.  I can't set up another tank and preferably don't want to kill it.  I live in London with no friends who have tanks.  I bought the fish from Maiden Head Aquatics a while back and haven't had any problems until now - what can I do?

You could ask if they would take the fish back. I wouldn't expect any money back for it, but some shops will take unwanted fish.

You could post a free to a good home ad in the classified section of this forum. There is a good chance there is someone local who could take it. I have rehomed a lot of guppies through various aquatics groups.

I don't know what tank setup you have or how many fish... but I have a Mrs Grumpy Platy and she is calmed by being with female guppies. I'm not suggesting you get more fish, but that is a method that worked for me. She now also accepts a second platy in the tank with them.

PrairieSunflower said:
You could post a free to a good home ad in the classified section of this forum. There is a good chance there is someone local who could take it. I have rehomed a lot of guppies through various aquatics groups.

I don't know what tank setup you have or how many fish... but I have a Mrs Grumpy Platy and she is calmed by being with female guppies. I'm not suggesting you get more fish, but that is a method that worked for me. She now also accepts a second platy in the tank with them.
 Thank you I will try the add :)  I have one other male platy in with the grumpy one, and 4 male guppies

MaidenHead Aquatics in Nottingham said if my platys ever have babies they will happily take them off me.

No money for them but hey i dont want to overstock my tank. problem solved
yes.gif

I am new to the forum so appols for not knowing the ropes.
I have had 4 silver sharks for nearly three years and three of them are just too big for my tank. They are about 5" long, 20170610_110916.jpg fit and healthy and free to anybody that will collect them. You will need a container to transport them.
I am in Burntwood near Lichfield Staffordshire.
Danny

Most reactions

Back