What Did I Do Wrong

Graeme-64

Reaction score
Well I manage to hatch the eggs but the growing on does not happen the majority seem to die leaving me with 1 or 2 fish this has happened with epiplatys Monroviae, fundulopanchax nigerianus, I change the water daily and feed microworm and baby brine shrimp.Has anyone have any ideas
Regards Graeme

Can you give us more info, such as how big is the tank, how long has it been set up, what kind of substrate, plants, wood, rocks, etc. are in it, temperature, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings ... this will help a lot in determining a course of action for you.

the tank is 8"x8"x10"
Iuse Filtered rain water
Set up for 6 months
Tank is bare
Temp 24
ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings all test ok I use a 6in1 Tetra tester strip
Hope this helps
Graeme

Get yourself a API Liquid Test kit and re-test them

When you say "Ok" do you have the exact readings?

Cheers

API Master Test Kit, Nutrafin or Salifert are all worlds better than any test strips which are notoriously inaccurate. Do you have any kind of filtration?

I think they're most likely dying of ammonia poisoning.

If you are using pure rainwater, that could be a problem. Some hardness would probably help.
When do the fry die? At what stage?

If I lose young at about that age, I usually suspect velvet. I have soft tapwater, and if there is any decomposing artemia in my growout tanks, oodinium is always a threat. In my previous house, with medium hard water, I rarely saw velvet, but here, it is an issue. If it hits, it's usually around 4-5 weeks.
If you are using rainwater, then you have an ideal habitat for oodinium. It's hard to see on fry, too.

Most reactions

trending

Back