What Could Go With Platys And Guppys

newfishy

Fish Herder
Joined
Dec 27, 2007
Messages
1,502
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
usa/pa
we have a 29 gallon, with 4 guppys and 8 platys, the tank is pretty over filtered...a 20-40 gallon filter and a 10-20 gallon filter, trying to think of something else to add to the tank...want to research it well before I add though. I am willing to do more agressive water changes too depending on the stocking and whatnot. the tank is also half live plants have plastic.

my husband would like some neon tetras, would a group of them go well with what we have? he pretty much just wants something blue in the tank.

any sugestions welcome.
 
If you decide on neons get at least 6- 8. They do much better in a school. Cardinals are good too. Don't know how available/pricy they are these days.
 
neon's and cardinals are both avaiable...is there any real jump out difference, is one more hardy then the other, or more or less prone to nipping.

I want a pretty calm tank, I hate fish drama.

a group of 6-8 is what I was thinking too for a little schooling fish.
 
No drama with neons. (Or Cards) As far as I'm concerned, having had both, the difference is mainly a matter of personal preference. The cards get a tiny bit bigger, but have the same habits, disposition as neons. Peaceful schoolers that are just a tad nervous about sudden lurches ect.
 
As Fred said, no real dramas with either especially if kept in a group of 6+. Cardinals do seem to be a bit hardier than Neons although you usually end up paying a little more for them.
 
bump for more ideas on what to stock this tank with...

and sadly it is down to 3 guppys....spunky got himself wedged somewere and torn himself to bits trying to get out and died. fish are not bright creatures.
 
I have x-ray tetras with my platys and guppies. They are beautiful, very active, and seem to be quite hardy. I would definitely recommend them :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top