What Causes Ph To Lower?

sallyann

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
118
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leeds, Yorkshire, UK
I have just changed my tank, and added all new water, same filter. I have been testing my water since last Thursday, and because my tap water came in at 8.4, it tthe reading I was getting from my tank was 8.4. I just have one goldfish in this 40 litre tank, the ph stayed at 8.4, until today and it is 7.4, which is better for the fish anyway, all my other stats are 0, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, just wondered why it lowers.

I am so pleased with my new tank, it is crystal clear, and the goldfish is so happy :D , swimming around much more than normal, and looking much healthier, i upgraded from a 16 litre, which he had been in for 10 years.
 
I have just changed my tank, and added all new water, same filter. I have been testing my water since last Thursday, and because my tap water came in at 8.4, it tthe reading I was getting from my tank was 8.4. I just have one goldfish in this 40 litre tank, the ph stayed at 8.4, until today and it is 7.4, which is better for the fish anyway, all my other stats are 0, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, just wondered why it lowers.

I am so pleased with my new tank, it is crystal clear, and the goldfish is so happy :D , swimming around much more than normal, and looking much healthier, i upgraded from a 16 litre, which he had been in for 10 years.

Is there any bogwood in the tank, this can lower the Ph if so.
 
I have just changed my tank, and added all new water, same filter. I have been testing my water since last Thursday, and because my tap water came in at 8.4, it tthe reading I was getting from my tank was 8.4. I just have one goldfish in this 40 litre tank, the ph stayed at 8.4, until today and it is 7.4, which is better for the fish anyway, all my other stats are 0, nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, just wondered why it lowers.

I am so pleased with my new tank, it is crystal clear, and the goldfish is so happy :D , swimming around much more than normal, and looking much healthier, i upgraded from a 16 litre, which he had been in for 10 years.

Is there any bogwood in the tank, this can lower the Ph if so.
No, not got any bogwood, just new gravel and my old plants and ornaments.
 
it's possible that the gravel has lowered it. could be the ornaments, all sorts of things in the tank can leach out things into the water which affect the pH, over time the effect will wear off and the pH will stabilise around the same as the tap water.

so glad that sharkeye is settled and happy in his new tank :good: was thinking about you this morning wondering how things were now.

any pics of the new tank?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top