What Bleach To Use When Cleaning Tank.

I could give you name brands, but I doubt they are available overseas. You actually want the cheapest available, no soap, no fragrance. The more expensive brands have those, while nice for doing laundry are not nice for cleaning tanks & such.
 
The problem with domestos is that it contains non-ionic surfactants (ie detergent), soap and perfume - I just looked at the bottle. The ones to go for are supermarkets' budget ranges as they usually contain just pure bleach, if a bit dilute. If in doubt, read the list of ingredients.

PS edited for typos!
 
Your joking :crazy:

I've used it, its the Original blue bottle, on the ingredients it doesnt have perfumes etc written.
 
I've got the big 2 litre dark blue bottle in the cupboard. At the top right hand side of the label is the list of ingredients -

"Disinfectant: Sodium Hypochlorite 4.8g per 100ml
<5% Chlorine based bleaching agent, Non-ionic surfactants, Soap, Perfume"

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(
 
Even if it does contain them, you need to rinse it thoroughly anyway to get rid of the bleach, so you should automatically rinse out anything else as well.
 
Great :grr: :sad:

Ok, so do i re-rinse it then and let it dry, is that it? or anything else, its just goning to have shrimp in it, with no lid, so it could air out. It currently doesnt have anything in it apart from the cat litter and ive just capped that with sand.

Whoops i missed out the "Non-ionic surfactants, Soap, Perfume" part :look:
 
I just got a second hand tank so not sure if I would be doing more harm than good by doing this, what is the purpose of using bleach? get rid of disease or something?
 
Why not use the bleach that is designed to clean babies bottles, I can not remember the name of the brand but avaiable in all supermarkets.

If its good enough for light sterilisation of baabies dummies and bottles surely the best thing!
 
Ok, so do i re-rinse it then and let it dry, is that it? or anything else, its just goning to have shrimp in it, with no lid, so it could air out. It currently doesnt have anything in it apart from the cat litter and ive just capped that with sand.

If you've already rinsed it thoroughly there shouldn't be a problem. You can always run some carbon for a while just to make sure.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top