What "big" Fish Can We Put In Our 36 Gallon?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

discus are the only peaceful large fish I can think of. but they like groups and are pretty needy and pricey. someone else could fill you in on their needs.ee you should up the schools on your fish or rehome them....or you could get a bigger tank.
ooh gourmis are a nice idea.

Megalodon said:
discus are the only peaceful large fish I can think of. but they like groups and are pretty needy and pricey. someone else could fill you in on their needs.ee you should up the schools on your fish or rehome them....or you could get a bigger tank.
The bigger tank would be the way to go with discus. I don't think a shoal of 5-6 would fit in a 36g
A solo angelfish could work if he rehomed the guppies and neons

Hi, I have mixed community tank, and despite folk telling me I would have stocking issues, I've only lost one guppy in 9 months!!

I've got:
4 Rainbow fish
3 harlequin tetras
3 neon tetras
3 guppys
3 plattys
4 rams
2 clown loaches
2 ghost knives
2 plecs
15 tropical frogs
2 dwarf gouramis

The Bosemani rainbow fish are lovely and colourful and peaceful in a community tank . . . . . or a ghost knife is always an interesting fish

Cleopup said:
Hi, I have mixed community tank, and despite folk telling me I would have stocking issues, I've only lost one guppy in 9 months!!

I've got:
4 Rainbow fish
3 harlequin tetras
3 neon tetras
3 guppys
3 plattys
4 rams
2 clown loaches
2 ghost knives
2 plecs
15 tropical frogs
2 dwarf gouramis

The Bosemani rainbow fish are lovely and colourful and peaceful in a community tank . . . . . or a ghost knife is always an interesting fish
How big is that tank?
Rainbows need groups of at least 6 to be happy and healthy long term (9 months is not really long term)
Same for neons, harlequins, and clown loaches
Then there's the fact that clown loaches grow to about a foot and need a 6ft tank
Your ghost knife fish will exceed a foot in an appropriately sized tank (6ftx2ft bare minimum) and eat the majority of your fish. That is provided you haven't stunted him already by keeping him in too small a tank.

You clearly have not researched the needs or adult sizes of any of your fish and I think you are very irresponsible to suggest that Framkefamily do the same!
no.gif

Cleopup said:

I've got:
4 Rainbow fish
3 harlequin tetras
3 neon tetras
3 guppys
3 plattys
4 rams
2 clown loaches
2 ghost knives
2 plecs
15 tropical frogs
2 dwarf gouramis

15 frogs? wow i dont know where to start

Not only that, but you are not supposed to mix two ghost knives. They will stress each other out and more than likely one is going to end up dead in the future.
I also see some of your fish becoming snacks, Cleo. Here is a vid for you:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZO_wyslrVE[/media]
I know this isn't entirely relevant to the OP, but hopefully it'll help dissuade the OP from getting one as well.
OP, I think your gourami is a perfectly fine centerpiece fish, and I think you'd see better behavior from your others if you upped their numbers.
*Edit* Asking this, while I don't feel quite comfortable with it..could the OP rehome their dwarf gourami, and get a larger kind, such as the golden? They're supposed to reach 5-6in which sounds like what her hubby wants.

Ninjouzata said:
Not only that, but you are not supposed to mix two ghost knives. They will stress each other out and more than likely one is going to end up dead in the future.
I also see some of your fish becoming snacks, Cleo. Here is a vid for you:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZO_wyslrVE[/media]
I know this isn't entirely relevant to the OP, but hopefully it'll help dissuade the OP from getting one as well.
OP, I think your gourami is a perfectly fine centerpiece fish, and I think you'd see better behavior from your others if you upped their numbers.
*Edit* Asking this, while I don't feel quite comfortable with it..could the OP rehome their dwarf gourami, and get a larger kind, such as the golden? They're supposed to reach 5-6in which sounds like what her hubby wants.
that fish wasnt properly cared for and is in fact aggresive , thats not the tempoermant of all black knifes.

I wasn't saying that he was properly cared for. 
There have been numerous reports of properly cared for ones eating their tankmates, it's just what fish do usually, if it fits in their mouth..it's food.
It's just an example because some people don't think that they have large mouths.
I get it though, it's hard to resist the most beautiful fish in existence.. :p

ok thats true, but not the most beautiful fish in existence part,bettas are
tongue2.gif

framkefamily said:
A gourami would look nice and be eye catching option, because you don't always hear the answers you want to hear it's always good to listen to advice offered to you with the wellbeing of your fish being paramount to so many fishkeepers on this forum

KirkyArcher said:

A gourami would look nice and be eye catching option, because you don't always hear the answers you want to hear it's always good to listen to advice offered to you with the wellbeing of your fish being paramount to so many fishkeepers on this forum

Do you think a golden gourami would be alright for their tank? It gets to about the size they're asking I asked it further up but not sure if you've seen it.
Also OP, if you don't like the coloring, it's just a variant of the three-spot gourami, I just find that to be the prettiest one.

wub.png
  I put my vote on Opaline as the most gorgeous variation. Wearing their heart on their sleeves.

Most reactions

Back