What "big" Fish Can We Put In Our 36 Gallon?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

framkefamily

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
We have a 36 gallon bow front and currently it has: zebra danio, neon tetra, guppys, gourami, platy, otos, and a sterbai cory. We love all the fish we currently have in there, but they are mostly the same size and shape. We want to have one "big" fish, like 4-6 inches that will be peaceful with it's tankmates. What do you suggest? My husband really liked the Pictus Catfish until we realized that he would possibly eat his tank mates down the road. Our tank has sand substrate and it is a well planted tank with live plants. Thanks for your suggestions! 

what are your tank measurements?
sounds like alot of fish in that tank, how many exactly?

30x15x21 is our tank dimensions. According to aqadvisor with our tank size and our filters we have, we are currently 72% stocked and our filtration is at 198%. 

well i wouldnt trust online stocking calculators there often wrong many levels, still if you can provide the actual fish numbers that would be helpful.

I have
4 zebra danio
3 otos
3 guppies
1 sterbai cory
1 dwarf gourami
3 platy
2 tetra

well you really should just up the numbers of all the scholling fish and that would finish it, you shouldnt get new fish until all of your fish are happy.

That's what i said, but my husband really wants a larger centerpiece fish.

well you really should worry about the well being of the fish, so i would rehome the danios and tetras.

If you must have a bigger centerpiece fish, I would rehome some of the smaller fish.  The tetras, danios, and corys need 6 of their own kind to feel safe and secure so if you keep any of them, you need to get their shoal size up.  The guppies and platys (if any of them are female) will soon stock your tank with fry so that is something to think about if you decide to keep them.

One of my platy is pregnant currently, but we do not have a set up for fry so i'm sure they will end up as food.

I have answered all of your questions, but you still haven't answered my original question, of what a good fish would be. Thank you for your suggestions for our current fish, but I would appreciate if you could give me some good options. Thank you!

well we wont help you until you can do whats best for the fish you have which would be only adding to there school number or rehoming them.

Yep, ncguppy is right...
A lot of your fish are shoaling fish and enjoy living in groups of at least 6 (preferably 8). Neons, cories, and danios all need groups.
6 danios
6 neons
6 cories
3 ottos
3 guppies
3 platies
1 gourami
that sound very well stocked to me.
Most 'big' fish in the 4-6 inch range will probably turn your neons and guppies into lunch so I would rehome them if your dead set on a centrepiece fish.
Let us know how you plan on rearranging your stock and then we can advise a suitable centrepiece fish.

I woulf think a gourami would make a nice "center peice" since your tank is mostly smaller fish. Like others said if you want a bigger fish you will need to rehome some fish

Yeah I had a tank like this with the same kind of stock. I had a quite big silver gourami and he never touched or bullied any other tank mates. Although I had a baby clown loach that took a liking to gourami flesh. I didn't even think clown loach would do that.

Most reactions

Back