What Are Your Fish Keeping Pet Peeves?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I too agree on the costs associated with the hobby. And yes there are those who do not listen to your advice. My biggest peeve right now is having bothe hands in a tank and having someone ask for help with something! Even after fair warning! But hey..that is teenage girls for you. It would be nice to have someome else in the household as interested as I am.

Hi I can relate to somebody all ways wants something when cleaning tank and then huff because you ask them to wait a mo ahhhhh .
Also some of the lfs not keeping tanks in healthy conditions and bad advice
evilmad.gif

the_lock_man said:
Brightly coloured gravel.

Amen brother, amen!
big_boss.gif

Another one:  fish at the LFS that 99% of the fishkeeping world has no business owning because they require a humongous tank to house them properly as adults. 
shout.gif

My final one:  "I'm bored of my current fish.  I'm going to rehome them and get some different ones."  

Meeresstille said:
Why does the plant-growing lighting have to be so expensive? 
unsure.png

I too prefer the natural look! 
yes.gif

Because you need to provide the full spectrum of light that the plants need.  Its not just a matter of perceived brightness, but a matter of the particular frequencies being generated.

eaglesaquarium said:
unsure.png

yes.gif

Because you need to provide the full spectrum of light that the plants need.  Its not just a matter of perceived brightness, but a matter of the particular frequencies being generated.
I just wish it wouldn't be so expensive. 
lookaround.gif

Meeresstille said:

unsure.png

yes.gif

I just wish it wouldn't be so expensive. 
lookaround.gif

I understand that... but, you get what you pay for.  If you spend very little on the lighting, then the frequency of light isn't what it needs to be and your plants will suffer, unfortunately. 

I'm not really bothered about neon gravel; it's not my tank, and I don't have to look at it :p If it makes them happy, so what? I don't think the fish care that much!

My biggest peeve is people who just won't listen!

"you need to do a 80 or 90% water change"

"ok, I've done a 10% change and will do the same the day after tomorrow..."

shout.gif

The worst thing for me is when you give a friend advice on stocking their tank, you explain how many fish and what species can be kept together, and the tank is then fully stocked. 

Then a few weeks later the tank is loaded up with fish that are unsuitable for the tank and fish start to die, then I am asked why the fish are starting to either die, fight or get white spot. 
wink.png

Uurgh; my own, very dear mother is one of those people!

Lovely, lovely lady, I must emphasise that, but she has a three foot tank with one bala shark, three or four clown loach, a couple of common plecs and a random mixture of other fish (from memory; a mix of zebra and giant danios, neon rainbows, filament barbs, female bettas, an angel) coupled with a gravel substrate and infrequent water changes.

I have tried to say something; she just says she knows they "could do with" a bigger tank, but that "they seem happy" 
shout.gif

Drives me mad every time I'm over there, the irritation compounded by her friends who all say how lovely it looks 
rolleyes.gif

Goldfish in bowls
Betta sororities (so unnatural, and so many nipped fins... why bother putting them through that?)

Most reactions

Back