What are these bugs that came with the plants?!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

They don't look quite right for hydra(I've had those) but you never know. Hydra usually attach themselves to something solid and wave their arms in the air. Well, water.

Iā€™ve had blood worms and they donā€™t look like that. The larvae or worms are red and look just like the frozen ones. The midge fly, which lays the eggs, is a small fly that youā€™ll see flying around the lights of your tank. I donā€™t think thatā€™s what you have.

hydra don't have legs. hydra are related to sea anemones and look like coral polyps.

they are a midge larvae

E66B3DEA-7352-47AB-8C27-7EC14F9A42A1.jpeg
hydra don't have legs. hydra are related to sea anemones and look like coral polyps.

they are a midge larvae
If they are midge flies they are at a stage that Iā€™ve never seen. I have had midge flies in my tanks and they donā€™t look a thing like this. The larvae are red blood worms. You will find them in your filter media. The fly itself looks like a small fly and will fly out when you lift your lid. Believe me, Iā€™ve experienced them a couple of times in the Spring due to my pond being close to my back door. The pic above is a midge fly. Again, if yours are midge flies then Iā€™ve never seen at that stage. Once they get past the blood worm stage, they canā€™t breathe in the water. Are yours surviving in water? Perhaps Iā€™ve never seen this stage because my fish eat them as blood worms. Poor midges donā€™t have a chance. :rofl:

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back