What are the Easiest Fish to Breed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I got microworms from this seller on Amazon, recommend them purely because they included an instruction leaflet that was clear and helpful about how to grow and continue the culture!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CQR2SAK/?tag=

That's spurred me to check what other live foods they offer and order some now, so thanks. Have been thinking I'd try a new culture for a while, so thanks for prompting me to do it!

Dapnia/moina/cyclops etc I just use frozen food, which I get from my LFS.
I’m sure that’s the feller I got my micro worms from. We’re almost related!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My White Cloud Moutain Minnows have produced fry without any special conditions or help from me.
I keep an eye on gravid females to see when it is obvious that she has scattered her eggs. I also look for the eggs. They hatch quickly and when I find fry I will put them in a grow out tank.
Much to my delight I have also discovered older fry that appear to have survived in the tank without removing from main tank.
In my experience and several others' , on the internet, they do not bother their fry or, obviously those eggs that survive. Maybe they do eat the eggs but I've never witnessed that.

WCMM fry look like neon tetras at first.

I love them. Very forgiving, can withstand temperatures as can be present in the White Clouds...;), where I assume it is cold.
I don't remember ever putting a heater in a tank with them unless there were other fish that required warmer temperatures.
That being said, they much prefer cooler temperatures. They are peaceful fish and healthy ones are quite stunning ☆
Are they in a species tank or mixed?
Mine are in with Medaka, Guppies, RCS, pond snails and Ramshorns which I think may reduce the possibilities somewhat.

How do you breed plecos? :0 Sounds like you'd have to have a big tank!
Most small species of suckermouth catfish (bristlenose, Peckoltias) breed in caves or pvc pipe. They mature at around 1 year old and the males set up small territories. The females lay eggs in the male's territory (in his cave or pipe), and the male guards the eggs and fry for a few days after they hatch. The females swim off and breed with other males.

Bigger species of suckermouth catfish (Plecostomus and Gibbiceps) take a couple of years to reach sexual maturity. The males dig burrows in the mud and hide in them during the day, coming out at night to feed. The females move around and lay eggs in the burrow, which the males guard.

---------------------
Some pet shops sell live Daphnia or you can collect your own from ponds in spring. You can also buy dry daphnia eggs online and hatch them and grow them in green water.

i would advise against it since it can bring parasites or dragonfly larvae
You can screen out other insects and life forms while the Dahpnia is in a white bucket.

Most Daphnia are found in temporary ponds that fill up in winter and spring but dry out during summer. This means they are usually free of fish diseases. However, water birds can visit these ponds and transfer diseases into them via their droppings or on the actual bird.

If you are concerned about this, put the Daphnia in a container of green water and let them breed. After a few weeks use a net to transfer some of the baby Daphnia into a new container of clean water. Let them grow up and breed there. Then take some of their babies and start a new culture in a new container. Use this third culture to feed your fish.

Dispose of the first 2 cultures or let them dry out, wait a few months and then fill with water. The drying process kills most diseases and the Daphnia lay dormant eggs that survive drying and hatch when they get wet again.

---------------------
My White Cloud Moutain Minnows have produced fry without any special conditions or help from me.
I keep an eye on gravid females to see when it is obvious that she has scattered her eggs. I also look for the eggs. They hatch quickly and when I find fry I will put them in a grow out tank.
Much to my delight I have also discovered older fry that appear to have survived in the tank without removing from main tank.
In my experience and several others' , on the internet, they do not bother their fry or, obviously those eggs that survive. Maybe they do eat the eggs but I've never witnessed that.

WCMM fry look like neon tetras at first.
If adult fish are well fed, most won't eat their own eggs or young. However, other fish in the area will eat the eggs and young.

White Cloud Mountain minnows generally don't eat their eggs or young and if they are in a decent sized tank, they breed until the tank has too many fish in. However, if you want lots of baby fish, breed the adults in a tank and move them out after they have done their bit. Then you get hundreds of babies at the same time.

Are they in a species tank or mixed?
Mine are in with Medaka, Guppies, RCS, pond snails and Ramshorns which I think may reduce the possibilities somewhat.
Species only. Well, and a snail and I'll probably put some shrimp in there, too.
Meduka? Not sure what that is, never had guppies but i imagine them eating eggs/fry.
Im happy to increase my school (shoal?) as it comes. I have 11 now, and 3 more ready to move out of grow out to main tank.
And the wee one in the cup=15.

Meduka? Not sure what that is, never had guppies but i imagine them eating eggs/fry.
Medakas (rice fish) are lovely little fish that grow to about 2 inches and hang around the top half of the tank. The females carry eggs around on their butt and anal fin until they wipe the eggs off on plant leaves.

The fish themselves aren't that colourful (usually pale yellow or grey, males have a little bit of colour in the fins) but are peaceful and really interesting because of the way they breed.

Medakas (rice fish) are lovely little fish that grow to about 2 inches and hang around the top half of the tank. The females carry eggs around on their butt and anal fin until they wipe the eggs off on plant leaves.

The fish themselves aren't that colourful (usually pale yellow or grey, males have a little bit of colour in the fins) but are peaceful and really interesting because of the way they breed.
Mine are white/grey and orange though ones wholly orange and is the looker of the bunch, when I look for more I’ll be looking for orange.
I don’t think I’ll have any success breeding them in a community tank alongside shrimp and snails. I’ve only seen one female with eggs and that was on the day after they came out of just under 4 weeks QT.

The next bout of decorating-rewiting-flooring etc starts today which means a breeding tank won’t be set up until that rooms vacant.vacant.

Last edited:
I really don't like using PVC pipes since sometimes they get stuck if I use a PVC pipe I make sure they have enough room to fit at the same time with some extra space to maneuver but usually, I will let the male dig their own cave or use a large pot/reptile cave, my favorite artificial cave would be the clay bowl with a hole cut on the side, the plecos seem to enjoy it more
The males dig burrows in the mud
From what I have seen it depends once again on the species but most dig their holes under something large or use already existing holes.
You can screen out other insects and life forms while the Dahpnia is in a white bucket.
still wouldn't risk it, some species of dragonfly have super small larva when they are just born, small enough to be mistaken for daphnia, this isn't like brine shrimp since with brine shrimp you can take some from the wild as they have fewer pathogens and no invaders for their habitats, but daphnia I would say to buy a colony starter and then you can put them in a green water tank to let them breed and to add nutrients into the water for the algae to multiplicate you can use animal manure from animals that you know are parasite/illness free.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back