April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Nichola_C

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,
After some fish stock questions.

What fish are best for hard water (320-330ppm) I've tried to search but nothing seems to come up on the web.

I have a 123 Litre tank and currently just have 4 Rosie barbs (which can be moved to another tank if needed)

I wanted 2 angels but I've since been looking into them and they like softer water.

TIA
Nichola

Last edited:
In a 32 litre tank, the only fish I would keep is half a dozen male endlers. No females or the tank would be overstocked in no time. Most other fish which would suit your hardness need a bigger tank, at least 60 cm long.

Not only do angels need soft water but they need a much larger tank than 32 litres. The rosy barbs also need a bigger tank, I'm afraid; at least 100cm long.

In a 32 litre tank, the only fish I would keep is half a dozen male endlers. No females or the tank would be overstocked in no time. Most other fish which would suit your hardness need a bigger tank, at least 60 cm long.

Not only do angels need soft water but they need a much larger tank than 32 litres. The rosy barbs also need a bigger tank, I'm afraid; at least 100cm long.
So sorry my fault. Its 32 gallons not 32 litres.
I will edit the post to stop any further confusion.
The tank is a fluval flex 123 so is 80cm

Last edited:
Ah that's a bit different :)

This tank is 82 cm/32.5 inches long so it has a fair amount of swimming room. It's still a bit on the small side for rosy barbs though. And it's still a bit too small for angelfish, even if the water was right for them. But it does open up the choice of fish, from platies to some of the smaller rainbowfish.

Hahaha sorry my fault, what a prat. Giving us newbies a bad name already ?

Really, wow. I think I'm going to have to find a different aquatics shop. They sold me the 4 rosy barbs for another tank i have that is alot smaller (kids bedroom one) but I changed my mind and put them in mine.
They also sold me 3 males and 1 female (which at the time i didn't know) and after seeing 1 of them being harassed and constantly hiding in the bush I realised what was happening and I took her back. Poor thing.
Even I know you shouldn't have 3 to 1, well maybe but 3 to 1 female to male, not male to female.

OK a pleco is a must, I had a huge one when I was growing up and another one when I was in my early 20s, but he got so big I had to hand him back after years, I was so upset. So im going for one that stays smaller. This little cutie also can live in harder water, so he seems perfect.

How about 2 dwarf rainbow gourami ? The PH looks ok for them and Tropco says ideal for smaller aquaruim. (I used to have the 3 dot ones many many years ago)

Attachments

• 20210204_213324.jpg
    20210204_213324.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210204_213309.jpg
    20210204_213309.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 35
DG’s may be an option, but they are susceptible to an illness known as “DGD”. (Dwarf Gourami Diseasw)

DG’s may be an option, but they are susceptible to an illness known as “DGD”. (Dwarf Gourami Diseasw)
Awww I did read something about this on another site. Something about people boycotting buying dwarf ones till supply country sorted out their breeding stock.

I will look into it more. Thanks for the tip. Liked them more because they were smaller for the tank.

Awww I did read something about this on another site. Something about people boycotting buying dwarf ones till supply country sorted out their breeding stock.

I will look into it more. Thanks for the tip. Liked them more because they were smaller for the tank.
Yes, it is a bummer because they really are beautiful. :/

Your hardness is actually just off the top end of dwarf gourami's scale, even if there weren't problems with these fish (TB is another besides dwarf gourami disease).

The best place for research is https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base Their profiles contain a lot of information - GH, pH and temperature requirements, minimum tank size, suitable tank mates and so on.

A bristlenose plec is OK for the tank but I'm not sure about their hardness range. I have soft water so I know more about soft water fish than I do about hard water fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back