What An Eventful Day

jb12288

Moved On
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
660
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Rome, Georgia
Today was a great day. My father and I went to some local creek areas again, but this time to collect some fish and plants. The first place we went to showed no signs of fish, but an abundance of plants; we collected a nice ludwigia species, an extremely nice fissidens sp. moss, and a few cuttings of a cyperus species. I was really excited when we found these plants as I didnt realize we had them in the Northwest Georgia area.

We also collected some interesting invertebrates. I was surprised to find olive nerite sp. snails about 500 miles from salt water, I collected 5 of these guys. Along with the snails we found some copepod type animals and this one really interesting snail type figure.

Onto the snail type figure, it is in a shell, I know this because I picked it up with tweezers and it had a shell LOL. It is in a straight shape about 1/4"-1/2" long. I was looking at through the glass and it kept sticking its head out. On its head it had 5-10 whisker type things on it. Very interesting little fella.

We collected 5 fish today. They range in size from 1/2"-1" in length. The scientific name is Leptolucania Ommata, there is no common name as they are not commonly found in the hobby. I have noticed that most people dont care about US Native fish, but I have decided to dedicate my 100 gallon to a US bio/picotope. I think it should come out pretty interesting.

I will post photos up later on in the day after all the fish have settled in. I am also going to post an Identification thread in the inverts section to figure out what that interesting fella I was telling you about is.
 
I debated long and hard all morning long about doing a discus set up, and decided it wouldnt be financially smart for me to spend so much money at the moment and this US Native tank would be the best idea. With good results on the collecting trip it inspired me even more to do it. While looking at my new fish, inverts and plants I found another strange specimen. I have the pictures as promised before, so here they are:
fishcollecting010.jpg

fishcollecting011.jpg

These two pictures are of the Leptolucania Ommata I was talking about.

fishcollecting012.jpg

fishcollecting001.jpg

Here are the Olive Nerite snails, at least I am thinking they are nerites.

fishcollecting009.jpg

fishcollecting008.jpg

Here are some pictures of one of the strange specimens that came in the tank.

fishcollecting006.jpg

fishcollecting007.jpg

fishcollecting002.jpg

Some more pictures of strange specimens collected.
 
Not being Ace Of Spades, Nor influenced by opinions of a so called "Ace Of Spades), I will not mock your poor attempts!....

But instead, Congratulate your success and thank you for sharing your experiences with us!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top