What A Shame

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Straydum

Marine Fever
Reaction score
It's a pity really that there're many fishes out there being kept in tanks almost equal to their sizes. I went down to the shop today and I saw arowanas barely able to turn around in their tanks, four (or five) big puffers (at least 8") kept in what I believe to be smaller than a 10g. Plus that's barely the tip of everything.

To make it worst, there was an araprima for sale. 10" kept in a 55g going for $170 (= £68 or so, yes, fishes here aren't that expensive), and it had a serial number coming with it. Does this imply that araprimas are legally transported nowadays? I really hope someone with a big enough tank (which I doubt so) comes along to get it before others who aren't able to take care of it does.

It's a pity really that there're many fishes out there being kept in tanks almost equal to their sizes. I went down to the shop today and I saw arowanas barely able to turn around in their tanks, four (or five) big puffers (at least 8") kept in what I believe to be smaller than a 10g. Plus that's barely the tip of everything.

To make it worst, there was an araprima for sale. 10" kept in a 55g going for $170 (= £68 or so, yes, fishes here aren't that expensive), and it had a serial number coming with it. Does this imply that araprimas are legally transported nowadays? I really hope someone with a big enough tank (which I doubt so) comes along to get it before others who aren't able to take care of it does.

:angry:

who in the world has room for an aripriama, seen one in a public aquarium, was several metres long. how in the world is any aquarists gonna have room for that.

Ive got room for a 13ft fish no problem :)...Yeh, rubbish.

Sounds annoying mate, i only hope NOBODY comes along and buys it, then maybe they wont get anymore :)

Actually, there are people who have tanks big enough for aripriama, go check out Monster Fish Keepers, there's a person with a 50,000 gallon tank and a 15,000 gallon tank, and those are big enough for the fish you stated.

But I do agree, I think it's terrible to see people with 4 foot fish in a 5 foot tank, which reminds me, a while back, at a LFS I saw a tank that was about 4x2x3', and it had a 3 foot White-Spotted Bamboo Shark in it. Absolutely terrible.

Actually, there are people who have tanks big enough for aripriama, go check out Monster Fish Keepers, there's a person with a 50,000 gallon tank and a 15,000 gallon tank, and those are big enough for the fish you stated.

But I do agree, I think it's terrible to see people with 4 foot fish in a 5 foot tank, which reminds me, a while back, at a LFS I saw a tank that was about 4x2x3', and it had a 3 foot White-Spotted Bamboo Shark in it. Absolutely terrible.

there's what.... a small handful of people in the whole country with a tank big enough.

fish like that shouldn't be in the trade at all and I'm sure the handful of people who can house them (given the choice) would rather that they couldn't get them at all and then there's no possibility one of them is going to end up in a tank far too small, rather than them being freely available and the vast majority dying in unsuitable homes.

there's what.... a small handful of people in the whole country with a tank big enough.

fish like that shouldn't be in the trade at all and I'm sure the handful of people who can house them (given the choice) would rather that they couldn't get them at all and then there's no possibility one of them is going to end up in a tank far too small, rather than them being freely available and the vast majority dying in unsuitable homes.

I agree entirely, I was just pointing out that there are a very few people in the US that do have tanks that are big enough for these massive species of fish.

But they do look best in their natural habitat!

Go in there kidnap the staff and shove them in a 6 foot cubed room see how they like it.

Thats a bit extreme, its not the staff that make the market, its stupid buyers who purchase on looks that do so :) I think we should throw books at these people untill they get the hint and learn before buying :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back