Well, This Is Going To Be Fun

MisssMarie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So, my friend told me today that she bought me some killifish eggs for my birthday since it's coming up and I love fish! She had to look up what kind she bought, but, I have a batch of Notho Palmqvisti coming to me in the mail, they come with artemia eggs. So, what do I need to do? Any special requirements? Can i raise them off Artemia? What's their tempermant like? What's their spawn pattern like? Lifespan? I know nothing about these ones, so, any help would be appreciated. Are they peaceful or?

Hi. We hatched our first lot of killifish about 2 months ago and since then I have really gone killi mad.

We bought some notho guntheri eggs , I used a combination of micro worms and liquiy fry for egg layers for the first couple of days. But also put the artemia into hatch on the first day so it was ready for the 3rd day. Then fed a combination of all 3 as going by some articles I read. Just feeding baby brine shrimp can alter sex ratios ( don't know how true this is ) you will need to put another batch of artemia in to hatch as soon as your 1st lot is ready , just to keep a constant supply of fresh bbs ready ( the brine shrimp are at there best the first day of hatching) we had about 20 hatch and raised 8 to adulthood 6 males 2 females.

This was our first attempt and I can say I'm no expert unlike some people on here that will be able to help you a lot more than myself. But hopefully will help you a little !

Notho killis are annual killifish

Ps . Buy yourself a nice big turkey baster it will be attached to your hand constantly

will also add , we use decapsulated brine shrimp aswell now!

N. palmqvisti are alongside N. guentheri a nice fish for the novice killi species for an introduction into annuals.
The rearing doesnt present too much problems as the fry are large and will consume bbs and microworm from the get go
Follow the article I wrote on N. rachovi...but obviously the fry rearing is a little different as N. rachovi are very small fry.
otherwise the process is the same.....I'll leave you to look up (google) geographical locations etc.
The best place to start is a site by a friend and well respected author on the Nothobranchius genre Marc Bellemans from Belgium
http://users.telenet...almqvisti_E.htm
It may seem a little technical but here will be a lot of good background information within.
all the best
C
P.S. male do tend to be a little more aggressive towards each other so separate them or give them plenty of room.

Thanks! Any ideas on their size when fully grown? And are they house able in a community tank?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back